Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

'an imaginary pupil' - Rousseau essay (english lit)

ktlaporta 1 / -  
okay first off i am terribly in english i just would apperisate it if someone would look over and edit it this paper for me. plus im a night audit and just finished this paper at 4 am so im sure there is a lot wrong thanks in advance....

Rousseau's Emilie

In the article Rousseau's "Emie the nature and purpose of education" by Audrey Rosenberg, she talks about Rousseau education philosophy. Rosenberg also talks about how Rousseau came to understand the stages of child development, also Rousseau's past education and careers that led him to write this piece of work.

Rosenberg argues how Rousseau should have not wrote something on children education because Rousseau gave his five children away to and orphanage. Rousseau explains that he did this because he could not afford to take care of his children. He also says that everyone was doing that at that time. In Emile Rousseau makes a point to show his guilt to his readers for giving his children away because he thought he could not take care of them.

Emile Rousseau theory's on child psychology are now denied but were tried by Montessori, Pestalozzi, Froebel and Dewey. They all said that Rousseau influenced them and they saw the importance of physical training, sense experience, learning through play and as believed in sound education. In Emile Rousseau makes it clear that he will offer advice about brining children up but his intentions are general rather then specific. That this book was directed towards the understanding of the nature of the children and consequently of what is the central human nature.

Rousseau believed in a system of education that varies according to accidents of place, birth, and the temperament of the individual. Rousseau says the main education is to produce not a scholar, not a specialist, but a man of all season, adaptable and independent, a philosopher who earns his living through his hands. Rosenberg says the Emile has all the major ideas of religion, politic, society, culture, civilization and education. In Rousseau's Emile is an imaginary child who has no family and shows no individual characteristics. This is only works because Rousseau never gives any specific information about Emile life so this is how people can relate to the story. This is explained in the beginning of Book 1:

I have... chosen to give myself an imaginary pupil, to hypothesize that I have the age, health, kinds of knowledge, and all the talent suitable for working at his education... this method appears to me useful to prevent an author who distrusts himself from getting lost in visions; for when he deviates from ordinary practice, he has only to make a test if his own practice on his pupil... in order not to fatten the book uselessly, u have been content with setting down the principles whose truth everyone should sense. But as for the rules which might need proof, I have applied them all the my Emile or to other examples; and I have shown in very extensive detail how what I have established could be put into practice... I do not speak at all here of good governor's qualities; I take them for granted, and I take for granted that I myself a, endowed with all theses qualities. (50-51)

His attentions were to lay the foundations on which other could build. The key of his system was to obey the dictates of nature. Rousseau wanted people to follow a detailed order that would produce a self-sufficient human being.

Rousseau only hoped that our educators today would produce a potentially responsible citizen. That education is an important aspect in a human's life and that Rousseau played a very important role in forming the education system we have today. Rousseau saw great thing people and if only we could all share that view today.

Work Cited

Rosenberg, Aubrey. "Rousseau's Emile: The Nature and Purpose of Education." The educational Legacy of Romanticism. Ed. John Willinsky. Waterloo, Canada: Wilfrid Laurier University Press for the Calgary Institute for the Humanities, 1990. 11-32. Rpt. in Literature Criticism from 1400 to 1800. Ed. Thomas J. Schoenberg. Vol. 122. Detroit: Gale, 2006. Literature Resource Center. Web. 6 Sep. 2012.

Rousseau, Jean-Jacques. Emile or On Education. Trans. by Allan Bloom. New York: Basic Books, 1979.

Home / Writing Feedback / 'an imaginary pupil' - Rousseau essay (english lit)