"Imagination is not enough. Knowledge is necessary." - GAMSAT essay practices

kumara 1 / 1  
Ok, I will tell you the truth. I have not written an essay for 10 years.. Now that I have this exam... I am desperate! Please help!

Any advise on my essay would be greatly appreciated! Ta!!

" Imagination is not enough. Knowledge is necessary. -Paul Scott-"

Imagination and knowledge. These two things are the most important things which make us proceed further and become successful. If a genius, like Einstein, full of facts had no imagination, if Alice in wonderland has no knowledge in English to communicate to others, that person is using only the half of his/her potentials.

It may seem like imagination and knowledge are the opposite word. Imagination is picturing something unreal, and knowledge is learning what is proven real and existing. However, the root of knowledge came from imagination. People grew interests in things they did not know, and that interests and imagination became the most powerful motivation for knowledge.

Thomas Edison tried to hatch an egg himself. Leonardo Davinch imagine flying the sky. Scientists, who improved our lifestyle in a great deal by studying, finding and improving knowledge, firstly got their motivation through imagination.

the reason for imagination to move people, is that imagination is proactive. People cannot be taught to imagine. We imagine things without being taught the right way. As we gain knowledge by learning, it is more passive than imagining. It means one can be in charge of one's imagination. And that power leads us to the thirst of knowledge.

If imagination is a seed, knowledge is fertilizer. Fertiliser helps a seed to grow faster and healthier. If Steven Jobs was so lazy and pictured his ever popular i-phone and i-pad in his mind, and wished others to be zealous , there is on one in the world to do so. Only his efforts with knowledge made that something which can be touched in a real life from his imagination. And how successful he became for the fruit of his knowledge, effort and imagination!

Imagination is not enough, knowledge is necessary. When these two combine, one truly can use his full potentials.

____________________________________________________________

Thank you for your time :)
jen50192 4 / 37  
Def. great key points.
I like this piece. :D
Just a few minor suggestions.

If a genius, like Einstein, full of facts, had no imagination, if Alice in wonderland has no knowledge in English to communicate to others, that person is using only the half of his/her potentials. - I really like this point but re-word the sentence. It's somewhat confusing and keep with the same tense. . ."had/has."

Scientists, who improved our lifestyle in a great deal by studying, finding and improving knowledge, firstly, got their motivation through imagination.

Fertiliser helps a seed to grow faster and healthier. - Typo?

Only his efforts with knowledge made that something which can be touched in a real life from his imagination. - Re-word? I get kinda lost in it.

And how successful he became for the fruit of his knowledge, effort and imagination! - Run-on!

Goodluck! :)
Yes, I'll try to clean it up:
Imagination and knowledge. These two things are the most important things resources for us as we proceed further and become successful.

But it is not good to imply that Einstein may have had no imagination. Maybe it is good to simplify the sentence and do this:

If a genius is full of facts but has no imagination, or if an artist has no factual knowledge to communicate with others, only the half of human potential is being used.

But this is obviously true, so why write about it? O, I see why! It is to express something about the significance of these 2 as the 2 sides of intelligence. So, add one more sentence to the intro para. Make it a thesis statement that boldly affirms what you are saying about these two things.

:-)
OP kumara 1 / 1  
thank you so much guys! I will work on your suggestions.

Home / Writing Feedback / "Imagination is not enough. Knowledge is necessary." - GAMSAT essay practices