Immigration: An Analysis of its Impact on the American Economy

kap444 1 / -  
Kacee Perry
Profesor Palazzolo
Draft
ENG 102
15 September 2018

The economy is an immensely delicate structure. If one disaster occurs, many are left damaged financially by the issue. Yet, on the other hand, if positive solutions are available, then numerous individuals are capable of staying financially sound. It is with that, that the economy is forever changing, making the United States populace forever flowing with its tide. One topic of change that has been consistently evolving the economy over the years (since the rise of America) is that of immigration. As time has shown, this prospect has had its impact, shaping the economy. To this day, it still remains a highlight of interest as to how it really affects the economy. The populace strains from two sides, concerning whether immigration has a positive or negative effect on the economy. On one side of the spectrum, there are those who perceive immigration as a problematic matter, while others see it as a state of progression. In this, it is further questionable as to how today's influx of immigration has prompted both parties. Keeping these ideas into consideration, this essay will analyze the factors that play into immigration. The prominent point is for readers to decide their own perspective on the matter, yet still understand the alternative's ideology. However, the goal of this piece is to persuade readers in noting that immigration is not a harboring idea. Rather in these circumstances, it does not cause a loss of jobs for Americans and is beneficial because it brings in a new range of skills, there is greater diversity, and it provides an increase in productive capacity for the economy. It is with that, that it necessary to comprehend the basis of the topic.

The thought of migrating has become something embedded into the human mentality since the dawn of time. People often leave from one place to another, due to a plethora of circumstances. For most Americans, it is usually due to the need to follow a better job or different environment. Thankfully, there is not much of a desire to migrate because of governmental destruction or an outbreak of war. This is not the case however for those traveling from many other countries to the United States. These individuals yearn for a life without such dangerous environments, which is why crossing the border to America is a potential option. Yet, this does not mean that America is so welcoming to others. The largest issue concerns that of those crossing into the United States illegally. This being so has brought forth a lot of tension and racial profiling for those of certain ethnicities. It has also uncovered the real divide of the country: jobs. With this, many argue that immigration provides a damper on the economy6 and it takes away from hard-working native born citizens. The largest supporter of removing immigrants from the country is that of the Trump Administration. Those who follow suit with the administration's ideas see immigration a huge issue. They perceive that immigrants are what take away jobs and work for native born citizens. The standard perspective is that these individuals are able to take away American jobs because they are willing to work for close to nothing, providing almost free labor for the business owners. In correlation, it is thought that they are willing to work for such low-income jobs because majority of them are illegal immigrants who wish to survive but fly under the radar. There have been studies composed, with those preaching that there are more immigrants working in the United States than there are those native-born because of this cyclical theme of immigrants 'stealing jobs.'

This theme of stealing has led to the desired implement of the RAISE Act. The Reforming American Immigration for a Strong Economy Act was enacted by the republican party, under the executive agreement of the Trump Administration. This act's purpose is to reduce the amount of immigration in the country. By this, it will take away aspects such as "Diversity Lottery Visas." These visas are provided to different countries, in order to allow individuals to come to America to make it more diverse. This act would cut legal immigration by half, reducing the number of green cards from more than 1 million to about 500,000. ( The RAISE). This would then further limit residency given to refugees in the same degree. Furthermore, this act would eliminate the ability for immigrants to sponsor visas for their extended family members and children. The inclination of such an act is the belief that it will improve and increase economic growth and increase wages. Economist in belief of this act have provided studies of potential future progress from the act. A main outcome would be the raise in per-capita. It is a possibility that with this act, the United State's economic per-capita would increase by .02 in the first decade ( The RAISE). This would relay a healthy effect on the economy as a whole. In addition, this act may help with taxes on the American populace. According to the Trump Administration, "low-skilled immigration" imposes costs on taxpayers and on other low-skilled workers. By cutting out a vast majority of these "low-skilled immigrants," the taxes implemented would decrease for American citizens. With these opinions in mind, those in distaste of immigration have constructed their case. Though these factors appear prominently, there are those who perceive a different outcome from immigration.

In the contrary position, there is evidence showcased to adhere to the notion that immigration is influential in a positive perspective. It is also thought to be that immigration actually improves the economy. There are certain ideas that appear to lack true justification in concerns with the anti-immigration party, in which the pro-immigration party has thoroughly counteracted. For example, Immigrants are often blamed in economic issues because people base their decision on the mistaken assumption that there is only a fixed number of jobs in the economy (Immigrants). The reality of this is untrue. Not only are there numerous positions in the workforce, but there are also a variety of jobs that coincide toi specific skills, which not everyone is able to qualify for. If there was a lack of jobs for American citizens, it would be exceptionally evident. It seems that certain opinions only cover the base of the entire economic structure of America. By this, experts note that immigrants are blamed for unemployment because Americans can see the jobs immigrants fill but not the jobs they create through productivity. (Immigrants). In this, there are countless numbers of companies that have had at least one immigrant founder. It can be as simple as a laborious jobs such as landscaping or as complex as a business owner of a technology company. By creating a new degree of companies, that therefore creates new positions provided to the entirety of the public. In addition to this, immigrants are more or less capable of improving the posting of taxes throughout the country. As stated previously, the opposing side stands in its position that immigrants impose high taxes and costs on the American people. However, it has proven otherwise. Immigrants pay more than $90 billion in taxes every year and receive only $5 billion in welfare. (Immigrants). So the idea in mind is that these individuals cause taxpayers to pay more money because of welfare, when in reality it is the complete opposite. With that, it presents an insight to some flaws in the opposing views argument.

In another opposing view, the RAISE Act is not what it is all expected to be. By this, there are an assortment of factors that may define flaws in the outlined plan for the act. Primarily so, is the per-capita growth of the GDP of the economy. In concerning this topic, there is a note that this act would supposedly increase the per-capita by .02 in the first decade. Though what is to occur after a decade? Even though, it may increase in the first ten years, after that, the per-capita is due to falter because of the lack of immigration. It is believe to be evidently low by the year of 2040 (The RAISE). Another factor to reconsider is the act wishes to set up a point system for those immigrating into the country. Points are only available for those with a high paying salary, English language proficiency, international medals and/or honors, and they are a specific age range (mostly young adults to the age of forty-five). With these requirements in tow, it seems less than likely immigration will grow. This will even further the decline of the per-capita for GDP. Taking into consideration the other side of the spectrum, it is evident that the RAISE Act will not progress the country or provide an effective solution. Those who have viewed have also noted that it this act is all in consideration of preferences. It suggests that the act will only look at these certain preferences to manifest its desired results. In addition, the act produces similar ideas that have already been done. It refines nothing. In the overall examination of the act, it is notable that immigration does greater good than harm. To put it lightly, "The average American worker is more likely to lose than to gain from immigration restrictions," (The RAISE). With that, there is additional evidence to coincide with the perspective of immigration relaying productive outcomes.

With immigration, it is shown that the general public would possibly thrive from any sort of influx. Though, there are other divisions of people who may inherit some positive changes as well. When it comes to upper division jobs, there is higher education qualifications and more individualized work progression. Adding immigration into the field, upper division jobs will more than likely flourish from such a prospect. With immigrants who obtain a higher level of education and are qualifiable for such positions, there is more to gain than to lose. Especially with students who enter into honors programs or the STEM program. Both have gained a greater deal of innovation than ever before. Data shown from all fifty states, presents that, "from 2000 to 2007, an additional 100 foreign-born workers in STEM fields with advanced degrees from US universities is associated with an additional 262 jobs among US natives," (Zavodny). From the same source, it is also exhibited that because these immigrants have higher paying jobs, they also pay higher taxes. As is so for native-born citizens, who are also working higher paying jobs. In addition, upper division immigrants insinuate growth in concerns with the American employment rate. A 10 percent increase in the share of workers who are immigrants with advanced degrees working in STEM boosted the US-born employment rate by 0.03 percent (Zavodny). By this, immigration builds the economy further improving employment. It may be because there is a desire for diversity in the workforce or it is simply due to positive education enforcements. Either way, it is evident that there is progression due to immigrants receiving their higher education and joining in part with organizations that can assist in future careers and other opportunities. With this, it is obvious that there is positive possibilities to be had with immigration.

The major outlook in perspective is in reality, no one is stealing anyone's job. On the contrary, there are numerous jobs available now more than ever for the general American populace. Even more so, a large amount of immigrants tend to take lower paying jobs, specifically those who are undocumented. These jobs typically imply poor working conditions, back-breaking labor, and little to no pay. The jobs that are being done by these immigrants are more often than not what Americans would rather do. Working in the fields under the sweltering sun or even cleaning an entire hotel in just a few hours are both common work for immigrants. No one is stealing anyone's job, especially if American native-born citizens never wanted it. By paying these workers lower too, these businesses generate high profits. To say the least, it is undoubtedly beneficial for a company to have cheap labor, though it is not fully ethical. Even so, there are programs that do provide assistance to those looking for temporary employment in the country, which does not breach any unethical payments for their workers. This is done through the H-1B program and it has been proven to boost employment for all departments of work. With that in hand, for every one hundred new immigrant workers it will equate to creating over four hundred jobs for native citizens (Wat Immigration). That is a drastic step in the right direction. Not only are immigrants able to work and make a living, but so are those who are native-born citizens. It is with that, that the country is in no danger when it comes to immigration, rather it is a productive resource that will progress the country to be economically healthy.

In conclusion, there are many factors that display how immigration affects the economy positively. There are those who may argue with this idea, using the RAISE act or typical fallacies as evidence. These individuals look towards immigration as something to fear, believing that immigrants are solely hear to take from the economy. This is not the truth of what occurs, however. These ideas can be countered as stated before. Overall, immigration relays positive effects to the U.S. economy by bringing in more jobs, reducing costs for U.S citizens, and by taking on the laborious duties for a lower pay. There is no stealing involved. With this topic, it is truly a matter of looking at a grander picture, which shows the influential properties of immigration. Not only this, but also with a vast amount of programs coming into play, it will make any work environment better-suited and productive. It is in that immigration is should be welcomed into the country, in order to develop and happier and healthier economy.
Razumikhin2018 1 / 2 3  
Hi Kacee,

You did a nice job with your essay. Good intro, solid conclusion, and you had plenty of citations and data.

In total, paragraph 3 is the only one which is against immigration, and paragraphs 4, 5, 6 , and 7 all support immigration. Maybe condense paragraphs 6, 7, and 8 into just two paragraphs, and add another paragraph which describes the opposing view against immigration. Maybe address issues such as violence, overpopulation, or language barriers (sorry, I'm personally not too educated on the subject). Anything to offer more sympathy to the opposing side, as this shows a more balanced and well-thought-out argument.

Also, you said the RAISE Act proposes things which have already been proposed before. Maybe go into detail into the other pieces of legislation which propose these things and which administration enacted them.

Also, maybe cite a famous economist and share their take on immigration to give your essay that much more credibility. Maybe Milton Friedman, Richard Freeman, or Thomas Friedman (he's a journalist, but has a lot of credibility with economics).

And if this is a personal issue for you, maybe share a personal experience you had which demonstrates the positive side of immigration (unless this makes your essay too long).

You have great organization and understanding of the content. Other than that, there were a few nit-picky editing corrections which I'll list. Great job!

Editing:
Paragraph 3:
-"Economist" should be "Economists"

Paragraph 4:
-"toi" should be "to"
-"...productivity. (Immigrants)."; no period before citation
-"jobs" should be "job"
-"However, it has ^been proven otherwise."
-"...welfare. (Immigrants)."; no period before citation
-"views" should be "view's"

Paragraph 5:
-"Even though, it ..."; no comma
-"believe" should be "believed"
-"Those who have viewed have also ..."; revise this sentence for clarity

Paragraph 6:
-"there is higher..."; "is" should be "are"
-no comma after "states"
-"in concerns with..."; change "concerns" to "relation"
-"there is positive ..."; "is" should be "are"

Paragraph 7:
-"than not what Americans would rather do.", do you mean "what Americans would rather not do"?

Paragraph 8:
-"solely hear to"; "hear" should be "here"
-revise the final sentence for clarity

Home / Writing Feedback / Immigration: An Analysis of its Impact on the American Economy