IELTS: the importance of history - removing this course from school curriculum is unwise

NZsky 1 / -  
To some people studying in the past has little value in the modern world. Why do you think it is important to do so? What will be the effect if children are not taught history?

Are history classes just a boring list of dates, kings and wars? Or does history tell us about our life today and help us to know who we are? In this essay, I intend to discuss the importance of history and the possible impact if this subject was not taught in school.

The primary reason why I believe history is essential is that the past can often provide explanations and solutions for the situations we face today. There were a great number of mistakes made by previous governments and their leaders. By studying the historical events, some similar problems could be avoided and if they happen again, it may take shorter time to resolve them. A particularly good example of this is the Financial Crisis which is currently affecting many countries throughout the world. Economists are looking back to the time of the Great Depression, around 80 years ago, and apply the experience to the current issues. This practice has been proved to effective to a certain extent. If children were not allowed to learn history in school, they would lose the opportunity to acquire such useful knowledge which could help them develop problem solving skills when they grow up.

Studying about the past is important also because it serves the purpose of linking the past with the present. Every ethnic group or country has its unique history, including the heroes in the wars, the fantastic buildings constructed long time ago, and valuable inventions, such as telephone and cars. These could bring a sense of cohesion to local society and make people united with each other. If children do not have access to historical knowledge, how can they be proud of being one of the members of this group or citizens of their country? Therefore, this subject is playing a key role in our society. If it is not available any more, it is very likely that students would have worse understanding of their culture, thereby losing their social identity.

By way of conclusion, although not everything in history is practical and can be applied to modern days, completely removing this course from school curriculum is unwise because of its potential benefits in developing skills of problem solving and social cohesion.
fikri 5 / 317 71  

there are some concluding words :

in conclusion
to conclude
to sum up
in summary
sundin928 12 / 18 10  
it is very likely that students would have worse understanding of their culture, and thereby losing their social identity.
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  
I like the way you present this essay :D
How about the time? Did you finish it into 40 minutes?

If you could, rewrite this intro with no thought-provoking questions. The main purpose of this is to test you for paraphrase skills.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: the importance of history - removing this course from school curriculum is unwise