"The Importance of Others in Understanding Ourselves"; essay written from SAT prompt

Dshingler1 1 / -  
Prompt: Do we need other people in order to understand ourselves?

Please note that this essay was written in 35 minutes. (I'm preparing for the College Composition CLEP test)

John Calvin once said that the two most important branches of knowledge are theology and anthropology, the study of ourselves. We all have a responsibility to understand ourselves. In doing so, we learn where we are at fault and need correction. We would all like to think we're good people but sometimes we have to be honest with ourselves. We must be willing to truly know ourselves. The best way to gain this knowledge is through other people.

One reason for this is that everyone has a natural bias. We are likely to have a higher opinion of ourselves than we should. Human pride plays a part in this. Often, we can't accurately judge ourselves because we naturally assume that we are perfect, and that whatever we do must be good. On the other hand, perspective is a factor. Other people might see problems we miss, because we're stuck in one point of view. The best way to get an objective and accurate opinion of oneself is to ask another person.

The other side of the coin is that we can become more aware of our faults by observing others. When we see problems in others, or when they do things that hurt us, it gives us a fresh perspective on our own faults. If a person sees someone using hurtful words, he is more likely to avoid it in his own life. We don't want to see in our own lives the evil that we see in others'.

Lastly, the experiences of others enlighten. We gain a better understanding of ourselves, and how we are prone to act, when we observe what others do in various situations. This allows us to be prepared when we find ourselves in such places. It also offers an opportunity to consider what we might do in a given circumstance, and thereby to gain a deeper understanding of our true natures.

To live alone is to have a very narrow perspective on oneself and all of life. Alone we can be deceived into believing anything we want. Only through others, can we be sure to have an understanding of ourselves.

(Thanks in advance for any feedback.)
hungvud 19 / 30 6  
Nice and concise essay. However, not only when you are at fault and need correction, you should also focus on the fact that other people (like friends or parents, teachers...) can give valuable advice when you have difficulties in life, can help you realise what you really want...from that you can understand yourself better...

Cheers,
Hung
In doing so, we learn where we are at fault and or need correction.

.... I feel "or" sounds better :)

We would all like to think we're good people but sometimes we have to be honest with ourselves.

We always tend to believe that we are faultless, but we need to be honest with ourselves.

Lastly, the experiences of others enlighten.

... this is an incomplete sentence... enlighten what? who?
You have very good points ... You have potential to further improve its presentation :)

Home / Writing Feedback / "The Importance of Others in Understanding Ourselves"; essay written from SAT prompt