IELTS- It's important to address root causes in order to reduce criminal activities!

StG 1 / -  
In order to reduce crime, we need to attack the causes of crime such as poverty and lack of educational opportunities. It is not enough to simply have more police on the street and put more people into prison.

To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

There are many different opinions on ways to decline in crime. People in favour of modern ideas claim that we need to fight with the causes of the crime. On the other hand, law-abiding society believe that the criminals should be punished for theirs misdeeds.

First of all, small part of society can afford education for them. As a result, such people are limited in types of jobs and cannot apply for well-paid vacancies. This is clearly illustrated by the fact that most of crimes are committed by unemployed people without any education.

In addition, in any country of the world more and more people are facing with inability to find work and that causes poverty. People need to satisfy their basic needs and low income and thirst for better life becomes the breeding grounds for crime.

On the other side of argument, punishment should fit the crime and if there is trend in increasing of offenders, then more severe punishments should be used. For most criminals prison is deterrent and fear of corporal and capital punishment can also help to prevent crime.

Moreover, public retribution is not enough for citizens to sleep safely at night. More police can support discipline outside and reduce criminal rates.

In conclusion, poverty reduction and making education more accessible are good steps forward. But strict control about law execution and fair punishments also need to take place. It's important to understand that everyone should have a good chance in life and the evil burn evil.
There are many different opinions on ways to declinereducein crime.

People hold many different opinions as how to reduce crime rate?

People in favour of modern ideas claim that we need to fight with the causes of the crime.

.... why do you classify that as a modern idea.... I think that really does not have much logic behind. There is no bearing on time for this issue. Your prompt actually does not talk about two sides. It's asking you whether you agree with it or not. This is what I suggest for your introduction;

People hold many different opinions as how to arrest crimes happening in society. Some people believe that it is important to address the root causes that promote people to engage in such criminal activities. They believe it is not enough to depend on the police to address this issue. In my opinion, I am also in favor of this view and believe that causes of crime such as poverty and lack of educational opportunities, need to be addressed if we are to build a crime free society.
On the other side ofthe argument,

On the other side of argument, punishment should fit the crime and if there is trend in increasing of offenders, then more severe punishments should be used

On the other side of the argument, punishment needs to be balanced with the crime committed by the offender. More severe punishments need to be introduced if this trend is on decline.

In conclusion, poverty reduction and making education more accessible are good steps forward.

In conclusion, poverty alleviation and making people more educated and disciplined are very good steps forward.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS- It's important to address root causes in order to reduce criminal activities!