IELTS:The most important characteristic of a leader is the good communication skill?

colin 23 / 48 15  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement:
The most important characteristic of a politician or a leader is the good communication skill.

The leader can be described as a person who has a social influence. While I accept that having a good communication skill is the most important factor for a leader, I believe that there are many characteristics that are more important than communication skill.

On the one hand, as the communication is the art of discourse, having excellent communication ability may be a prerequisite of being a leader. The first reason is that leaders have responsibility of informing, persuading and motivating others. The communication skills play an important role in leadership. That is why people with skills could avoid language barriers and misunderstandings in discussions, meetings. Move over, expressing idea clearly is important for every politician leader because this ability can help a leader to win support for a proposal. For example, if the president Kennedy did not defend the enormous expense of the space program and delivered the excellent speech in Houston, the US would have not implemented the program in 1960s that land men on the moon and help the humankind to solve the mysteries of space.

However, I would argue that there are many people, who are good at communication and even rhetoric, but only some of them are leaders. One can be a leader if one is optimistic and intelligent. Firstly, the foundation of leading others lies in the optimism. On the way to the destination, leaders will often come across lots of obstacles, but they need an optimistic attitude to find ways to overcome difficulties. As a result, their optimism would also inspire others, which is where success lies. From another perspective, intelligence is also important for leaders. Without intelligence, politician leaders could not find the keys to solve all the intricate problems. For instance, in order to speed up economic growth, it is not enough for the eloquent Obama to deliver good speeches. It also requires Obama's intelligence to tackle the fiscal cliff issue and reduce unemployment.

In conclusion, it is hard for a person to become a leader without optimism and intelligence. It seems that there are some characteristics that are more important than the communication skill for being a leader.
devabe2005 46 / 97  
Hi collin,

overall excellent essay. I like your examples.
additional points are good character,honest,competent, courageous, management, performance, vision, energy are some of the qualities for the leaders.

Regards,
Devaraj
Azizullah - / 2  
Hi
Your essay is very nice but try to avoid capitalization and punctuation mistakes.
The leader can be described as a person who has a social influence.

...when you say "social influence" it gives a different meaning. My suggestion;
The leader can be described as a person who can greatly influence the society.

having excellent communication ability may be a prerequisite of being a leader.

...having excellent communication skills is a mandatory skill that a good leader should possess.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS:The most important characteristic of a leader is the good communication skill?