How important is COLLEGE education today?

minhthuy99 1 / -  

Isn't college a waste of time and money?

The average college graduate makes $570,000 more than the average high school graduate over a lifetime (Currier, 2018, n.p.). To achieve career success, people need to continuously enhance their understanding, job opportunities, technical and social skills. Tertiary education is the best tool for people, especially young students to have positive income thanks to its substantial benefits. I believe that college education is vitally important for those who still hesitate to choose their future career path.

Young adults get better jobs when they have college degrees. They are more likely to receive on-the-job formal or informal training, technology approach and internship programs. Therefore, they can easily and quickly find the jobs with higher salary than those do not attend college. Over a career, a study from the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce calculated that in 1999 the average lifetime earnings of a bachelor's degree holder was 75 percent more than the earnings of a high school graduate, and that by 2009 the premium grew to 84 percent. (Oreopoulos, P. & Petronijevic, U., 2013, p.9)

Additionally, these people have more and better employment opportunities. More and more jobs call for college degrees. "Only 34% of American jobs require a high school diploma or less in 2017, compared to 72% in the 1970s." (Carnevale, A. & Smith, N., 2017, p.2). According to a June 2016 study, 99% of job growth (or 11.5 million of 11.6 million jobs) between 2010 and 2016 went to employees with associate's, bachelor's or graduate degrees.(Carnevale, A. et al, 2016, p.1)

Besides, students have more chances to learn interpersonal skills in college. At colleges or universities, students will have the chance to interact with many people, including teachers and other students. All the lessons at higher education requires students to dig deeper into the problems by making discussions and debates at class. Students can also join clubs, associations and programs. These social organizations help them to improve their communication skill, teamwork skill, critical thinking and many others, because once students take part in these societies, they have chance to meet and work with a lot of people.

According to Arthur Chickering's "Seven Vectors" student development theory, "Developing mature interpersonal relationships" is one of the seven stages student progress through as they attend college.(Chickering, cited by Nancy, E. et al, 2009, p.68). Students ranked "interpersonal skills" as the most important skill used in their daily lives in a 1994 survey of 11,000 college students.(Doyle, T., 2012, p.93)

Many people said that college is such a waste of time and money, and students should spend those time and invest money in starting up their career. They claimed that many people succeed without college degrees, such as Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc. However, the reason why they did not want to keep going to college is that they had not found what they need there. Moreover, the number of those who were successful after having quitted college is just a drop in the ocean. Take Steve Jobs as an example, he dropped out of Reed College because liberal arts were not what he was passionate about. Hence, college education does nothing wrong, the key lies in the decision on the major that high school students make.

The advantages that tertiary education brings us are undeniable. The point is that every student must choose a major with their eyes open, which means it should have positive job prospects. After that, they will realize how important college is in their career and more crucially, their life.
DFLOW 1 / 1  
I often find that the typical college is given a bad rep because of its outlandish cost. So, I admire this essay for what it attempts - rather successfully - to accomplish. Since you talk about "associate's, bachelor's or graduate degrees" (3) it primes me to think about universities instead of trade schools. However, trade school is a growing option for many people in response to the cost of universities and you never talk about this point. While I love your counter-argument to those who plea to authority, I think the more common argument is that vocational schools are better. By adding this into your essay, it demonstrates a more complete understanding of the subject. Additionally, i would have mentioned Bill Gates who dropped out of Harvard because it demonstrates these people valued education and so went to a university to continue their academic journey but personal did not find solace in it. By focusing on that these people first chose college and support people who are in college by paying student debt demonstrates the fallacy in their logic better.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@minhthuy99
Hi there!

First and foremost, I can't seem to determine what form of citations you are using. If it is APA, then the formatting is quite off. Kindly check on this.

Secondly, watch out for the structure and the composition of your sentences. You have a tendency to produce quite off-putting content simply because of the lack of proper/appropriate structure. What I recommend is looking over your formal academic writing guidelines to ensure that you are grammatically and technically compliant.

Lastly, try smoother transitions between your sentences and paragraphs. Transitioning does not necessitate a filler word. Having a more organic approach and developing your ideas as is can go a long way.

Having said that, let's revise the first paragraph as a reference point for you to see how these play out.

Note: I will omit using citations, taking into account that I am quite uncertain what style you are using.

In his lifetime, an average college graduate will make $570 000 more than a high school graduate. To achieve career success, social and technical skills to enhance job seeking opportunities are required. Tertiary education is the best tool for this. I believe that college education, therefore, is crucial even for hesitant people.

[...]

Be cautious of the forms of the words/verbs that you are using. Remember that consistency is key!

Best of luck in your writing endeavors.

Home / Writing Feedback / How important is COLLEGE education today?