SAT essay: Do incidents from the past continue to influence the present?

Lily Rose 5 / 16  
Do incidents from the past continue to influence the present?

The famous American novelist Pearl Buck once said: "If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday." This quotation illustrates how important the past is to the present. In the long, vast history of human, it is not hard to find plenty of examples to show that past events still have impacts on today's world.

The establishment of the United Nations is a good example. During the Second World War, twenty-six countries signed the "Declaration by United Nations" to fight together against the Axis Powers. After the Nazi was defeated, the United Nations was kept and was officially established in 1945 to maintain international peace and to promote cooperation in solving international affairs. Today, the United Nations is the most authoritative and well-known international organization. It has involved in numerous important political, economic, social and humanitarian issues around the world, such as the most recent and famous event of imposing a no-fly zone in Libya during the Libya civil war.

The September 11 attacks, although happened ten years ago, continues to influence the American society and American people's daily life. On 11th of September, 2001, terrorists from the Islamist group al-Qaeda hijacked four passenger jets, two of which crashed into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York, to declare a holy war against the U.S. About 3,000 American civillians died in the attacks. The attacks provoked a war between Afghanistan and the U.S., a much more strict system of safety regulations in airports in the U.S, and numerous policies and acts against terrorism from the U.S government. Today, relationships between the U.S. and Islamic countries are still intense, both officially and unofficially. In airports, passengers wait longer than before because the federal security force inspect them and their baggage. Earlier this year, many airports in the U.S. employed body scanners that use X-ray to detect concealed weapons and prohibited items, to make further safety measures.

Technological incidents from the past also affect our modern life. In the nineteenth century, Alexander Bell invented telephone that could transmit people's voices from one place to another, without the people being meeting. About thirty years later, the Wright brothers created the first airplane. Both inventions started new chapters in human history. Now, telephone and airplane are two important things in our urban life. The former makes communication easy and convenient, and the latter makes travelling fast and effective.

As seen in the three examples above, whether the past incident is from history, politics, or technology, it influences our life and our world today. Yesterday makes today, the past creates the present. Even a small event at the time can have a huge impact on the world later. And we can't cut the connections.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

I'm a homeschooler who's preparing for the SAT in Jan. Please correct my essay if there are mistakes, and score it from 1 to 6. Any opinion(e.g. on organization, diction, grammar, paragraph, development of the theme, punctuation etc..) is welcomed, and is valuable! Thanks for taking the time to read my essay.

Rose

(10.27 finished.)
gre_nov 1 / 4  
I personally liked the points that your have taken to formulate your essay but if you could strongly state whether your agree to the topic it could streghthen your essay...like maybe after the quote your could state whats your opinion over this issue...

Also, in your concluding paragraph you say that "whether the past incident is from history, politics, or technology, it influences our life and our world today" but in the essay i think you have missed the part where you could have stated how it has influenced your life. Like how Alexander bell invented the telephone that has made communication easy and convenient and you are able to stay i touch with your loved ones... maybe something like that.

I hope this helps you.

best of luck
OP Lily Rose 5 / 16  
Thank you for your feedback Nityaa. :)

The sentence in the first paragraph, "it is not hard to find plenty of examples to show that past events still have impacts on today's world" was my opinion that I thought what happened in the past influences today's life. I thought I made my point clear in both the introduction and the conclusion although I didn't say "I think xxx."

I thought it wasn't necessary to state that past incidents influence my own life, but adding that could make my point stronger. So thank you for your suggestion. ^^

Home / Writing Feedback / SAT essay: Do incidents from the past continue to influence the present?