IELTS: How can income generated by tourism benefit the poor?

fred123 6 / 8 2  
IELTS task 2
Most of the world's poor live in countries where tourism is a growing industry. The issue is that tourism does not benefit the poorest. How can the income generated by tourism benefit the poor? And how can we ensure that tourism does not destroy traditional cultures and ways of life?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience

Tourism is arguably a financial source for poverty in developing countries. Such growing industries have resulted from exploiting natural resources ranging from mountains to beaches and even mangrove forests to be successful in national income. However, this comes to two serious questions of the beneficial effects for poor people as well as the consequences on traditional cultures and ways of life.

The general view has been that booming tourism in low-income countries play a crucial role in improvement of financial status. Reduction of unemployment rate, for example, is a primary result to help create jobs for under-privilege citizens. In addition, profitable income from this sector can enhance not only for education, but also for health care system and, in turn, it leads to contribution for higher standards of living of their citizens.

Despite the fact that tourism attract loads of multicultural travelers, this can bring about an interesting situation of cultural merge and subsequently takes risk of loss their national identity. It is therefore essential for authorities to take responsibilities to encourage their people to make use of their culture and customs as an alternative way to achieve their tourism goal. In addition, the governments should promote their cultural values by mass media to maintain these precious things in their communities.

To sum up, business tourism is of crucial importance of both increasing people's income and funding for other public sectors such as education and health care. On the other hand, loss of national identity should be highly considered so that the governments should not only represent their unique cultures as another source for tourist attraction, but also give priority to retain this national assets in the way of broadcasting.
jkjeremy - / 380 72  
You've discussed the importance and the impact of tourism, but...

How can the income generated by tourism benefit the poor?

You haven't really told me what could or should be DONE with tourism revenues.

And how can we ensure that tourism does not destroy traditional cultures and ways of life?

What can be DONE to ensure the preservation of native cultures in these countries?

Instead, you merely discuss the idea of tourism while dancing around the question.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: How can income generated by tourism benefit the poor?