[ielts Task 2] Increasing global demand of oil and gas, should continue explore?

yon959 6 / 7 4  
With the increased global demand in oil and gas, undiscovered area of the world should be opened up to access more resources.

To what extent do you agree?

Over the past decades, the petroleum industry has gone through a boom period. Scientists argue that our natural resources would be dried up in the next fifty years, while some intended to explore those unextracted resources. Nevertheless, this activity will cause tremendous impact on environment and human nature. I totally do not agree to access the undiscovered areas and this essay shall list the reasons to support my idea.

Initially, the process of extracting natural resources has lead to unrecoverable damages to the surrounding environment. For instance, China government has planned to access the shale gas in her western region. However, the process involves the breakdown of a large amount of deep rocks under a highly pressurized water. It dries the under-water and causes desertification. It should, therefore, be clear that the environment is suffered by human unlimited wants towards to the natural resources.

Secondly, the use of oil and gas deteriorates the global warming. This is because the combustion of natural resources mainly generates huge amount of green-house gases in particular carbon dioxide. The more serious the global warming increases the global temperature. In addition, the water level has reached its highest record ever since before. If we do not aware of the seriousness of the global warming due to the over exploration of natural resources, the human nature would be extinct and the ecosystem would be irreversibly collapsed in the near future.

To conclude, although few would tend to access as much as natural resources as they can, there are certainly reasons why we need to search for alternatives such as unlimited energy from sun, wind and water. In the future, as the global warming becomes irreversible, these reasons will no doubt appear more conspicuous.
Freeman_ps1983 1 / 1  
Hi yon959, your essay is very well for both skeleton and supporting ideas. However, I have some minor comments as follows.

1.Over the past decades, the petroleum industry has gone through a boom period, "go through something"normally mean to experience a difficult situation which contrast with "boom period", and"period" is the redundant because "boom" means period of growth. So, sentence may change to"the petroleum industry has entered a golden age" .

2....such as unlimited(renewable) energy from sun, wind and water.

3. In the conclusion paragraph, you should give a sentence by paraphrase your thesis statement in the introduction in order to strongly show that you do not agree to access the undiscovered areas.

Home / Writing Feedback / [ielts Task 2] Increasing global demand of oil and gas, should continue explore?