TOEFL Writing Independent Task: Should children be required to perform household tasks?

ryanta 2 / 2  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
Children should not have to work or help with household tasks, their only responsibility should be to study.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

In modern days, a large number of parents consider studying the sole way for their children to achieve success in life. It is commonly believed that children's only duty is to concentrate on their study and should not be required to perform household tasks. However, from my perspective, I am strongly against this idea. The bases for my view are empathy and independence building.

First and foremost, doing housework teaches children how to be empathetic and responsive to others. For example, it is commonly seen that children will feel the hardship of their family members through chores and could start to help their family willingly. Unfortunately, this is something that only studying cannot offer. Therefore, this makes it clear why children should always be asked to do housework instead of just studying.

The opponent of this idea might claim that studying provides all the necessary knowledge children need. While this may seem to be true at first, doing chores teaches children skills that they need to live independently. For instance, it is obvious that this will be useful at college time when children will be on their own and have to do chores themselves. Such is helpful thing that performing household tasks can provide but only studying cannot. From this, it becomes quite evident that only studying will never completely help children fulfill.

In conclusion, requiring children to work with household tasks helps enhance their empathy and independence. Hence, it is clear why the idea of children's only responsibility should be to study cannot be supported. Hopefully, all parents can guide their children to be a well-rounded person with a moderate combination of studying and performing household tasks.

Word count: 278
smartyp 2 / 3 1  
only duty is to concentrate on their studystudies
otherwise essay is good

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL Writing Independent Task: Should children be required to perform household tasks?