IELTS Writing Task 2 Individuals can do nothing to improve the environment

RomanKoch 10 / 22 9  
Individuals can do nothing to improve the environment; only governments and large companies can make a difference. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

The responsibility of environment

Today it is clear that the health of our planet is in a dire situation. Some people believe that they personally can not change this fact and only corporations and governments are able to improve the environment. This essay will discuss in depth why I completely disagree with this notion.

The idea that individuals are helpless is blatantly wrong and extremely lazy. People in general are the reason of the deterioration of the environment. Therefore, if they are capabe to worsen the situation, they are surely in power to make the opposite effect. A person can toss a plastic botlle on a lawn, for example, but the same person is also capable of collecting trash from the same lawn to a trash bin. Moreover, there is a plethora of things that people can do ranging from collecting rubbish and sorting it to prodicing less of waste and wisely and economically using the utilities. These measures have long been stated by environmentalists as the most effective.

Governments and corporations can undoubtedly make a difference and individuals can and should force them to take the action. Provided that large companies are working for profit, they are not particularly interested in the environmental issues. However, their business is sensitive to the public opinion and if there is enough effort from their customers they will have no choice but to contribute. The same can be said about governments. These institutions are there to serve people, and are chosen by people. So it is their job to listen to their nations desires and problems and react accordingly. On the other hand it is the duty of an individual to reach to a politician, for instance, by means of protests, demonstrations or petitions that demand environmental legislation.

This essay discussed the reasons why the idea that individuals can not change the environmental crisis is inaccurate. Therefore, I strongly disagree that not individuals but politicians and large businesses are the only ones that can reduce pollution.
kayzee 2 / 5 1  
Generally, the overall feel of the essay is very well developed. With few inaccuracies

1- Slight Spelling mistakes.
2- You should add a casestudy example in paragraph two after taking the side you are on.
3- The conclusion can be alittle more elaborated (atleast 4 lines) and should cover the partial information discussed in each paragraph.
This is a very badly developed essay. I think you are not familiar enough with the given topic which is why your essay has met the word count, but not really delivered clear ideas that can support your disagreement with the given topic. The first reasoning paragraph does not make it very clear why you believe that people can actually make a difference with regards to environmental preservation. The first 3 sentences are merely word fillers that do not provide a clear subject for the paragraph. The middle of the presentation, the next 2 sentences, offer a topic focus, but then you lose sight of the discussion and fail to provide an adequate example and proper supporting reasons for the given topic.

You are skirting the discussion by pretending to discuss an issue, without offering any clear nor relevant information in the discussion. You are just aimlessly spinning your wheels until you meet the word count. The same goes for the 2nd reasoning paragraph. There is no substance to the presentation at all that relates to the given topic. These are the main reasons why your concluding recap also fell apart.

It appears that you have the skills to deliver an analytical report for the Task 1 essays, but you do not have the ability to discuss personal opinions, as required in the Task 2 essays. I am disappointed in your work when it comes to this particular essay.
kellywee1234 4 / 6 5  
My personal thought:
1) Instead of saying that the individuals can help through protests, demonstrations, petitions, they could simply help by changing their lifestyle which u mentioned in paragraph 2. BUt suggesting to protests etc might not be a good idea. You may say that they're environment advocates & helps spreading the message to friends and families etc(?)

2) As for the corporates, it is harder to reach them unless consumers decide to "ban" products that are not environmental friendly. Or could it be that the government impose laws that is directed at the corporations' ways of handling waste? Many corporations might not dispose waste properly and in a socially responsible way. However, consumers can change the way they purchase a product.

For example:
- Instead of choosing the cheapest product, they would choose products they are environmental friendly
- choosing a biodegradable packaging rather than those that are made of plastics

Hear are just some of my 2 cents, I may be wrong too. DO take it with a pinch of salt, all the best!
lanlan 3 / 6  
You make some typos (capable, producing bottles, etc.)
Your ideas are not clear and well documented.
..., they are not particularly interested in the environmental issues". I don't think so ,it's just your subjective opinion and you don't state the evidence.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 2 Individuals can do nothing to improve the environment