IELTS Task 1: the information taken from a report on the energy consumption in the USA since 1980

lingwang 1 / -  

us energy consumption

The line graph below illustrates the information taken from a report written in 2008 about energy usage in America from 1980 with predictions until 2030.
Overall, it is clear that people in the USA have the biggest consumption of petrol and oil. Also, the expenditure on nuclear, solar/wind and hydropower remained unchanged throughout the period shown.

In 1980, the number of units of petrol and oil consumed in the US totaled exactly 35 quadrillions. The figures were considerably lower for coal and natural gas at about 20 quadrillions and nuclear, solar/wind, and hydropower all have the same consumption at nearly 5 quadrillions each.

By 2030, the amount of petrol and oil consumed by Americans is expected to rise sharply, reaching a peak of almost 50 quadrillion units, while consumption is anticipated to increase to about 25 and 30 quadrillion units for coal and natural gas, respectively. Similarly, slight rises in the amount of fuel consumed are predicted for nuclear, solar/wind, and hydropower.

In reality, your summary sentence is not changed enough to be considered an information restatement on your part. This was caused by the use of more of the original keywords in your presentation, rather than the use of word equivalents. If the examiner suspects that you cannot write anything original, and need to use cut and paste references for any reason, there will be a very strong tendency for the examiner to give you a failing grade.

that people in the USA have the biggest consumption of petrol and oil

In comparison to what country? The reference point is incorrect. This should not use a comparative format, but be written as a statement of fact instead.

The analysis paragraphs are mostly confusing run-on sentences that could have used more clarity in the presentation. You need to write individual idea sentences instead of merged idea sentences. The latter is what resulted in the under developed and somewhat confusing comparison paragraphs. You skipped on the reporting and analysis of specific information from the line graphs.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 1: the information taken from a report on the energy consumption in the USA since 1980