Is intelligence influenced by nature or learning?

nabila05 8 / 12  
It is often debated whether intelligence is significantly influenced by a person's learning process or their genes. Some people think that intelligence is gifted to individuals while others argued that it is developed and formed through any variation ways. In my opinion, intelligence is a product of nurture as well as nature.

There is a common assumption among people that some individuals are born to be a genius because they believe that human's body is constructed according to instructions received from the genes that it has inherited from the parents. It would seem reasonable that superior genes would provide a child with superior intelligence capacity. In fact, researchers have discovered that parents with high IQ's tend to have children with high IQ's while parents with low IQ's tend to have children with low IQ's. Dr. Beben Benyamin from University of Queensland said childhood intelligence is heritable. Up to 40% of a child's intelligence is passed down from the parents. Therefore, it is possibly true that genes may affect individual's intelligence.

However, I strongly ensure that intelligence is not gifted since it can be developed throughout life by several ways. First, it can be expanded by improving individuals' verbal knowledge involves reading, writing, speaking, and conversing. They can exercise it through learning a new language, reading interesting books, playing word games, listening to recordings, and participating in conversation and discussions. Moreover, people can also increase their brainpower level by gaining social intelligence as it involves an understanding of how to communicate with, and understand other people, and how to work collaboratively. For instance, they can develop it through cooperative games, group projects, and discussion. In addition, as Daniel Goleman explains in his book "Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ", they can develop it through learning emotions and thoughts such as participating in independent projects, journal-writing, and also quiet reflection.

In conclusion, although some people think that intelligence is a nature. I believe that it is not only determined by nature but also by learning and practicing several knowledge and habits.
GIjoefan1976 2 / 10  
I really appreciated reading this, as I am writing a essay on Amy Tans "Two Kinds" and I feel the mother thinks anyone can just be a prodigy, that it only relies on one just wanting something badly enough, and trying. Yet if you can't do it then it's only because your not wanting it or trying. Yet I believe it's also the being born with the intelligence, and fate.

Unless you fixed it or I misunderstand you wrote

In conclusion, although some people think that intelligence is a nature.

I don't think you wanted the intelligence is "a"....
Hi Nabila, I hope to share additional insights to your essay.
Overall, the argument you presented in this essay is very comprehensive, the details are in logical order, however, I notice in your third paragraph, you mentioned, " However, I strongly ensure that intelligence is not..", I believe the word choice on this part of the essay is not appropriate, I suggest the following;

However, I strongly believe that intelligence....

I think the above approach to your essay is far better than the original one, you see, it takes a little polishing on your essay and it will be a much better writing. I hope you keep practicing, write more often and continuously learn the language, this is the only way we can be good at what we do.
ainirere /  
Some people think that intelligence is gifted to individuals while others argued that it is developed and formed through any variation ways.

Dr. Beben Benyamin from University of Queensland said THAT childhood intelligence is heritable.

involves D IN reading, writing, speaking, and conversing.
mormontre 6 / 9 7  
Hi nabila,

your writing was pleasant to reed, but there are some problems in some points:

I strongly ensure that intelligence is not gifted since it can be developed throughout life by several ways.
Maybe it's better to rephrase it:
I am strongly convinced that intelligence is not only a gift, but it can be also developed ..
For example, ..

And also your conclusion has something that is not working:

In conclusion, I believe that intelligence can be enhance by learning and practicing .. .
or:

Although it may seem reasonable to think that intelligence is mostly dependent on genes and nature, it has been shown that ..
For this reason, I completely tend to agree with the idea that it can be enhanced ..

Try to practice with this new expressions, which will make your writing look more coherent.

Home / Writing Feedback / Is intelligence influenced by nature or learning?