'International Baccalaureate senior' - Tell us about yourself

Elementary11 2 / 4  
Tell us about yourself, highlighting those attributes that will make you successful at Mercer University
Well I'm a High School senior at Central High School in the rigorous International Baccalaureate Program. I'm not in the top 10 percentile of my class or top 20 percentile of my class, due to decisions I have made. In the spring of my 8th grade, I made the conscious decision to take the International Baccalaureate Program entrance exam with the notion in the back of my mind that I wouldn't be accepted because I wasn't smart enough. Much to my surprise towards the end of my middle school career, I received a letter from Central High School International Baccalaureate Program accepting me into their pre-IB program. Since I took the entrance exam I had been anticipating a letter of rejection but instead I found a new sense of confidence in the letter. I had alot of self-doubt about high school and not being able to graduate. As an pre-IB student you are no stranger to the rumors that surround the program. "IB sucks" "IB will make you question your intelligence" "IB will consume your life". Having gone through middle school without having put much effort to making good grades, High School became a challenge and to make matters worse I was in a pre-picked curriculum which I had no say in. I started having self doubt about if I would be able to cope in not just the IB program but in high school. I heard rumors that not everyone in your pre-IB class would be able to stand the rigor of IB. In the back of my mind I always believed I would be one of those individuals who would drop out or fail out. With the support of my family and friends I was able to survive my first year of High School and pre-IB as an honor student. In my pre-IB class of over 70 people, I am one of only 25 individuals who survived the pre-IB program and is still in the International Baccalaureate Program. In my high school career I didn't take the easy rode out, I stuck through with the International Baccalaureate Program, I worked hard to pass all my classes, with the support of my friends and family, hard work, and dedication I am able to say I am an International Baccalaureate senior. I know that I will be successful at Mercer because I am determined to get the best college experience out of Mercer; I won't take the easy way out and with the support of my family and friends I know I have the support i need to keep me grounded at Mercer and be successful.
I'm not in the top 10 percentile of my class or top 20 percentile of my class, due to decisions I have made.

.... why you give two sets of percentiles? It does not make much sense to me... :(
I am not one of the top ten students in my class due to certain decision I have made.

Since I took the entrance exam I had been anticipating a letter of rejection but instead I found a new sense of confidence in the letter.

What's the connection between the entrance exam and your anticipation of rejection... that's not very clear :(
... instead I found a new sense of confidence in me ... you felt confident and may be the letter gave you confidence.

Home / Writing Feedback / 'International Baccalaureate senior' - Tell us about yourself