IELTS Writing Task 2 : Should a job be chosen based on salary?

Rayleigh 1 / 1  
Q.

When choosing a job, the salary is the most important consideration.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays, many people choose their profession based on the amount of money they can earn from it. To certain extent I agree with this notion, however, I also believe that one should consider other factors while determining their job.

Every job has numerous areas that a job seeker needs to carefully examine. Firstly, a job should be considered only in the persons's field of interest. Choosing a job (with little to no knowledge or experience) based on rumors of high-return will only turn out to be detrimental for one's career. Secondly, one should also think about the work environment in the organization. The level of satisfaction that one gains from a job is largely determined by the nature of their colleagues and leader in the group. Apparently, surrounding oneself with trustworthy and supportive friends in the workplace helps the person to achieve greater success in their profession.

All aforementioned things need to be considered while searching for a job,however it is unwise to rule out the monetary factor. After all, money is required for the fulfillment of our basic needs of food, water and accommodation. At a time where the cost of all forms of services including that of health, education and entertainment are ever rising, it becomes further important for people to earn more than just for their basic necessities in order to sustain their quality of life. Apart from this, people who are underpaid or have a low salary jobs get frequently in trouble with money lenders and landlords. In the end, having to deal regularly with them and many other unpaid bills as well causes stress and other mental issues in the person.

In conclusion, the salary is as much important as rest of the factors while looking for a suitable job. Considering it properly during a job selection allows one to live a prosperous life with less stress from money-related problems.
As a single opinion essay, your response will lose points for improper formatting. You have not presented a clear response / position on the given topic. Being an extent essay, you should only focus on defending one side of the discussion. This is not a C&C or A/D prompt. Only those two prompts allow you take a middle ground position in the discussion. In an extent essay, you must choose to defend only one side because, just like the other Dis/Agree essays, you are required to show your familiarity with the given discussion topic using only one point of view. You will not score more points for being undecided. You will lose points for it. Indecision has no place in the essay.

There is a reason you were told you show whether you agree or disagree. You were not asked "Why do you think both sides are correct?" Which is basically what you are discussing the essay. Which, is not related to the prompt discussion requirements. So expect to lose points heavily for your inability come to a decision regarding the question you were asked.

You should have outlined the essay before you wrote about it. Within the 5-10 minutes of outline time provided, you could have created 2 columns. One column represents the reasons you agree with the statement, the other, the disagreement reasons. Which ever column had more reasons would have been the stance you took in the essay. That is how you would have been able to create the proper response to the extent essay. Based on the number reasons you presented, you could have shown an emotional response in accordance with the discussion requirements.
OP Rayleigh 1 / 1  
Thank you for your feedback. Really appreciate it. I will remember it for next time.
Btw could you please provide an example or reference regarding your last sentence.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 2 : Should a job be chosen based on salary?