Judgement and verification. Understand concepts and ideas is MORE IMPORTANT than learning facts?

JangGemini 8 / 51 12  
Hi,

I'm Jen. I'm practicing for the TOEFL test on May 23rd which is coming soon. This is a tough topic that I tried to finish in 32 minutes (I need to improve my speed to fit in 30 minutes) and I know I can't write a fabulous essay in limited time. Please make any correction, fix grammatical errors and it will be great if you can help me come up with better ideas to write. THANK YOU!

The development of science and technology in our society has been built from theories, concepts, and principles. To learn about the ideas of everything around us is to embrace to most important essence. However, learning facts of something is undoubtedly as crucial as understanding the ideas behind it. To support my opinion, I have two reasons: judgement and verification.

Firstly, any theories need to be judged carefully to become an acceptable concept. Thus, scientists have to find a way to prove the reliability of their ideas. For example, Issac Newton had a hypothesis that the Earth has gravity and everything that stays on the ground are being held by this incredible force. He demonstrated his hypothesis by his story of an apple which fell straight to to ground but not floated in the air. By observing and judging this fact, Issac Newton has found out the natural rule of gravity.

Secondly, learning about facts contribute to the development of ideas and concepts. Not all the time, concepts are strong enough to be persuasive. We all have to look at the facts to verify its practicality. For instance, I have learnt that sleep deficit is detrimental for my brain function and physical activity. However, in order to really understand that concept, I had to investigate the facts by doing a small experiment. I started to go to bed earlier and fulfill a complete circle of 8-hour sleep and the result was fascinating: I felt happier and more active.

Obviously, learning facts help us to make the right judgement about a phenomona like Issace Newton did to prove his hypothesis acceptable. I have done an experiment to verify the idea of sleep deficit. Therefore, I believe the balance of learning facts and understanding concepts is necessary in any field of life.
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
'm Jen. I'm practicing for the TOEFL test on May 23rd which is coming soon. This is a tough topic that I tried to finish in 32 minutes (I need to improve my speed to fit in 30 minutes) and I know I can't write a fabulous essay in limited time.

Yes it is :) You are doing the right thing by practicing with time. This is the approach dumi suggests for this task and I think you can do a good job if you follow this approach because it contains all necessary features and also manage time effectively :

Yes, what you say is true.... you may not be able to do a perfect essay in this type of time bound task. However, you can attempt to complete the task within 30 mins with all required features in it if you follow an appropriate approach and practice your essays accordingly with time.
okdeerpass 5 / 12 2  
To learn about the ideas of everything around us is to embrace to most important essence.

...is to embrace most important essence.

Firstly, any theories need to be judged carefully to become an acceptable concept.

...any theory (not theories)

By observing and judging this fact, Issac Newton has found out the natural rule of gravity.

Issac Newton had found out that...

Secondly, learning about facts contribute to the development of ideas and concepts.

...learning about facts contributes to...

Obviously, learning facts help us to make

...learning facts helps us...

I think your essay is good to read. But you can still practice to write more details or five paragraphs.

Home / Writing Feedback / Judgement and verification. Understand concepts and ideas is MORE IMPORTANT than learning facts?