IELTS TASK 2 : IS JUDGING PERSONALITY FROM CLOTHES RIGHT TO BE JUSTIFIED?

ichatea07 27 / 24 10  
Some people say that the clothes people wear are the most important indication of what they are like. Others, however, say that people should not be judged by the clothes they wear.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Today's thousands of mode represent that people in the world become more concerned in their style of clothing. Regarding to this, several people believe that human's wardrobe is the best tool to indicate someone's characteristic. Otherwise, I personally believe that it is wrong to describe everyone's personality by seeing only to clothes that are being worn.

Supporters who think of the clothes function in detecting human's characteristics mainly argue for some references for that statement. One reference explains that colours can express a general view of a man. For example, bright colours are popular with a person who is cheerful and happy-go-lucky. By contrast, dark sensation, such as grey, brown, and black, are related to a group of people who are mysterious and cool. Another reference of these judges shows that people's neat tidiness in wearing costumes could visualise their responses towards rules in a particular environment. Those, who are neat, are acknowledged excellent in keeping obedience.

On the other side, I would argue that it is unfair to merely consider clothes to judge others' personality. The reason for this is human's character is determined by abstract components, such as behaviours, habits, and thoughts. These things regenerate from heredity, knowledge, and experiences. To illustrate, it is common to misjudge a person who is good looking and diligent, but behind all his shown characteristiccs, he likes to drink alcohol and shout out in his parents' faces. Besides, inner factors are more appropiate to be responsible on this case. Therefore, this proves that it is not that simple to judge people's personality by assessing their appearance.

In essence, even though some people tend to conclude main points of others' personalities through their clothes, it is obvious that several factors are more significant in illustrating people's characters. I suggest that society should change their ways to predict characteristics from clothes.
pikul 23 / 26 3  
On the other sideAPART FROM PREVIOUS DISCUSSION

I would argue that it is EXTREMELYunfairUNJUSTIFIEDto merely consider clothes to judge others' personalityJUDGING PEOPLE'S PERSONALITY BY CONSIDERING THE WAY THAT THEY DRESS
Anissa, while I will commend you for developing a good discussion. You failed to represent the complete prompt instructions in your essay. You were supposed to state the two sides of the issue in the restated prompt portion of the essay. The discussion should have indicated that you would be looking into the side that supports the idea that clothes define a person, then the side that believes that people cannot be judged by clothes, before presenting your opinion at the end of the opening statement. Consider the opening statement half complete in this case. Therefore, the score will also be half or less of what it should actually be, even with your grammar issues involved.

If you read further down in your essay, you will notice that you also lack a paragraph that represents the opposing side. The one that believes that people cannot be judged by their clothes. That paragraph should have been placed before your opinion because your personal line of reasoning was meant to help increase the validity of the claim. That additional paragraph would have increased the score of this essay by a large number.

It is important to remember to refer to the original prompt as you write the essay. That way you can double check your work for prompt responsiveness and assure yourself that you have followed all of the instructions given and have met all of the prompt requirements. Those are very simple things you can do to help increase the score in this exam and yet a number of students often forget to do this as part of their practice tests. I suggest that you train yourself to do this in order to increase your score chances.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS TASK 2 : IS JUDGING PERSONALITY FROM CLOTHES RIGHT TO BE JUSTIFIED?