IELTS WRITING TASK 1 : LAGUNA BEACH; more and more sophisticated facilities have been built there

sofianur23 3 / 4 1  

The pictures below show the changes that took place at Laguna Beach from 1950 to 1990.

The maps illustrate the development of Laguna Beach from 1950 to 1990. Overall, it is clear that over the period given, more and more sophisticated facilities have been built there.

In 1950, most of the areas were in a natural state. The laguna beach was located in the center of the area adjoining sand dunes in the northeast and woodland in the northwest. The only artificial facilities in Laguna Beach at that time were beach huts located in the north. Moreover, the huts and woodland were separated by a walking track.

After 20 years, several areas have changed. The most significant change happened in the woodland area; the trees were cut then it was constructed to be a caravan park. Other developments were the huts that were replaced by villas and the path nearby was developed to be a road. However, the space of sand dunes and beach did not seem to have any transformation.

In the final year, the facilities in Laguna Beach were more sophisticated. The villas were improved to become a hotel complete with a new pool alongside. Besides, the landscaped gardens were developed in the previous location of sand dunes, and a surf school was added to the beach area. Furthermore, the caravan park was reconstructed to be a car park.

When a task 1 essay is written, careful consideration should be given to the time allowance of 20 minutes in relation to the word count. That means, the number of words should never go over 200 words. The writer must know how to deliver information using concise sentences. This is not a vocabulary test. This is an English expression test. That means, the writer should have the ability to report and analyze using proper words, geared towards the proper audience, within a short span of time and writing space. The writer has shown an inability to do this in the essay. Some of the problems of this essay include:

1. A lack of proper image representation through the division of map presentations.
2. An insufficient time reference in the summary overview due to the incorrect image number / year representation
3. Referencing information not acknowledge in the image (Laguna Beach? )
4. Lack of clear year anchors per paragraph. Do not make the reader do the math. Use the years as provided

These are but a few of the existing problems in the task presentation. The writer should work on improving his presentation based on these early presentation errors first. Fixing these should result in an improved written presentation in the next task. He should also make sure to use a timer when writing the practice test for word count considerations.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 1 : LAGUNA BEACH; more and more sophisticated facilities have been built there