'The Laws' - Academic essay on the death penalty, pros and cons

alexabutts 1 / 2  
Our natural rights as humans include the right to life. This, under no circumstance, should be taken away from a person by the government or any other human being. Humans are not metal coins that lose value; no act, no matter how heinous, can make a person less of a human being. The death penalty or capital punishment is a legal process whereby a person is put to death by the government as a punishment for a crime, usually murder. Murder is defined as unlawfully killing another person with the intent to kill or to cause grievous bodily harm. The Illinois Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty states, "We don't cut off the hands of thieves to -protect property; we do not stone adulterers to stop adultery. We consider that barbaric. Yet we continue to take life as a means of protecting life."

Firstly, there is nothing more inhumane than tolerating the killing of another human being. It is barbaric and violates the "cruel and unusual" clause in the Bill of Rights. It is indeed very paradoxical that the state will allow the execution of a human person as a solution to crime and violence that the person committed. The death penalty is the most overlooked form of government hypocrisy as the state murders people who murder people to show that murder is wrong. Although it is true that capital punishment deters the criminal from committing another crime, it is said that it also prevents other criminals from committing the same crime in the fear of being sentenced to death. The death penalty continues the cycle of violence which ultimately destroys the avenger as well as the offender.

In addition, as humans, it is inevitable that errors would be made. However, when a life is at stake, error is not an option. It is not surprising that most people who are languishing in jail are those living below the poverty line that they have no means to pay for a competent lawyer to defend themselves in court. Therefore, if a person is put on death row and cannot afford the best lawyer in the country to adequately represent the defendant in court, it is likely that this person would be executed. This can detrimental if the executed is innocent. Innocent people can always be released from prison, but they can never be brought back from the dead.

Although the death penalty is legal in Trinidad and Tobago, the last execution took place in 1999 where multiple people were executed. This took place in June and July of 1999 where ten men were hanged. However, it is stated in the Trinidad Express as of 2010 that there are 33 condemned prisoners on death row, including one woman.

Many people favour the death penalty as reparation for the wrong done to a victim's family; however, in most cases, closure is not the result. Losing a loved one, no matter how that person is lost, is unbearable and catastrophic. Pain like this is shocking and many times, the victim's family holds onto the hope that the execution of the murderer will bring relief and closure. Nevertheless, when execution day arrives, the pain is not eased. No relief can be gained, for their pain is an inevitable, natural process of life.

In my opinion, the death penalty should be abolished from the laws of Trinidad and Tobago. Instead, prisoners should be sentenced to life without parole as this forces them to endure the consequences of their actions for the rest of their lives. The eradication of capital punishment would allow the government to focus those resources to educate the prisoners in all aspects such as work-wise; where they can develop different skills and abilities as well as spiritually and emotionally. The government can also create more programmes that keep the youths occupied and out of trouble which would help them to be a more productive contribution to society.

In conclusion, the death penalty is immoral and a violation of human rights. Furthermore, the death penalty does not guarantee safety for innocent victims, it does not follow the goals and promises of our nation and it does not give closure to the victims' families. No person, government-affiliated or not, has the right to decide if another human is worthy or unworthy of life. Nothing good comes of hate, and nothing good can ever come from capital punishment. It cannot continue to be accepted by a country that claims to be autonomous and one with integrity. The death penalty is murder in disguise and it is completely erroneous.
Our natural rights as humans include the right to life.

Our rights as humans most importantly include the right to live.

Our natural rights as humans include the right to life..

I think this idea is dragged a bit too much. You should not exceed two sentences for this idea.

Our natural rights as humans include the right to life.."

Well, I wish you rearrange your ideas to make it more effective.
OP alexabutts 1 / 2  
Thank you. Is there anything else you can suggest??

Home / Writing Feedback / 'The Laws' - Academic essay on the death penalty, pros and cons