Any leader who is quickly and easily influenced by shifts in popular opinion will accomplish little

KennyRie 1 / -  
I am currently writing a lot of essays in preparation for the GRE. This is about the 7th I have written so far, while my writing speed has increased a lot already I can't say anything about the quality, so I would appreciate it if somebody could rate my essay

Thank you very much in advance! =)

Any leader who is quickly and easily influenced by shifts in popular opinion will accomplish little.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The statement has a negative connotation about leaders who waver their positions, further implying that not maintaining one's own course will from refrain one from making great accomplishments. Of course opinions on to what extend leaders should listen to public opinion differ, though both sides have their reasons, a leader that is gullible and capricious will in fact be limited in his possibilities to accomplish, especially concerning long-term projects or international relations.

One of the major issues in immediate reaction to public opinion, is that public opinion changes faster than politics and even much faster than cost of a mega-project might acclimate. For example, if a government decides to build a new airport because the nation's transportation infrastructure is weak and the outlooks for foreign trade are promising this project might bolster the nation's economy to a great extent. However, just like Rome, an airport is not built in one day. So hypothetically if the construction is under way for two years and millions of dollar have been invested in the project but suddenly concern arises that the airport is built close to a habitat of an endangered animal species, public opinion might shift and demand a halt of construction. A leader who is susceptible to this change, might therefore cancel the project, leaving a huge hole in the nation's budget with nothing to present in return. Hence such a leader will not be able to accomplish such or even greater long-term projects.

Further, public opinion is not necessarily the right opinion. Especially in terms of warfare or social security public opinion might not be very erudite and lack important background information. In case of the European Union, precisely the monetary union, nation have different backgrounds and infrastructures that are not comparable to other nations. While public opinion often demands other nations to adopt one's own system, for example in health care, or pension funds, this system does no work in the other country. Would a leader unquestionably adopt public opinion and force another country to adopt what he thinks is best, might not only ruin the other country, but his own as well.

Of course one might argue, that listening to the people would not only help a leader gain popularity and thus might give him good chances of staying in office for another term or two, but popularity does not equal accomplishment. Even more, if the public realizes that a leader has not accomplish a lot, they will not vote him into office for another term, no matter how charismatic and liked he might have been.

In conclusion a waving leader is prone to misdecision and should therefore maintain his own position, of course not completely ignoring public opinion, but for the sake of everyone stand and support his decisions and position with reasonable arguments, so his leading style is straight and unequivocal.
sunny17 2 / 3  
One of the major issues in immediate reaction to public opinion, is that public opinion changes faster than politics and even much faster than cost of a mega-project might acclimate

One of the major issues in immediate reaction to public opinion, is that public opinion changes faster than politics and even much faster than cost of a mega-project might acclimate.

Commendable use of transition words, examples appeared fitting to me. However, the conclusion does sound a little awkward. Go over the last paragraph and try to be a little clearer because I lost track while reading.

Personally, I would score it 4 out of a potential 6. (Just my opinion)

Home / Writing Feedback / Any leader who is quickly and easily influenced by shifts in popular opinion will accomplish little