Learning a country by visiting it (IELTS task 2); "the only source of knowledge is experience"

ashelarisa48 36 / 52 4  
Some people say that you can learn more about another country by watching television programmes and films about it than by actually visiting it.
How true is this statement? Is there anything you can learn about another country by visiting it that you can not learn by watching programmes and films about it?

Give reasons for your answers and include any relevant examples from your own experience.

People know that television shows and films can give much knowledge about many things, one of them is about another country. Consequently, some people argue that they can learn more about the country by watching it than visiting it. It might be true but I have a different side to respond this view.

In my opinion, visiting a place can increase the knowledge about it more than only watching it on TV or films. Learning more about a country can be gained when people can also 'experience' it than only 'know' it. Learning process, if I define, should involve all of human senses. When people are watching news about a place, they only use two senses that are vision and hearing. It will be different if they visit it.

I believe that many things will be missed if they do not travel around the country even want to know more about a country only by watching it. For instance, when they watch a documentary video about indigenous people in a rural area of Sumatera Island, exactly they 'know' it, but if they visit straight to the place, they can feel more. They will learn to adapt with the local culture, try to follow their lifestyle, also sense the atmosphere. Other example, when they travel to India and see Taj Mahal, they can feel the greatness of the building, how exactly the size and the height. However, it is only looked small as a size of television's screen if they see it on television. Also, in my experience, I ever expected that Komodo, an endemic animal of Indonesia, had a slow movement and was looked tame when it was shown on TV although it gave the facts that Komodo has a fast movement and prey the target quickly. However, I could not think it was horrible until I visited Komodo Island and saw it directly.

For sure, let me quote the words of Einstein that said,"the only source of knowledge is experience". The more you experience, the more you learn. Believe or not, visiting another country will give an amazing learning that can not be aquired by only watching.
ralfie 2 / 3  
I definitely agree with your take on why experiencing something by visiting as opposed to films is a much more immersive experience. There are definitely some things you cannot understand until you've seen it first hand and in person.

I personally never write in first person, but I'm not sure what type of writing assignment this is.

However, I could not think it was horrible until ...

Should be "did not"
ekalamarsyari11 72 / 108 9  
Consequently , However some people argue that
it's not a result but it's a contrast

In my opinion, visiting a place can increaseexpandtheour knowledge about it(unclear) .....

first idea :Learning more about a country can be gained when people can also 'experience' it than only 'know' it. it's hard to understand

second idea: Learning process, if I define, should involve all of human senses.

third idea: When people are watching news about a place, they only use two senses that are vision and hearing. It will be different if they visit it.

i notice that you make many ideas in a paragraph but it should be better if you only serve one main idea in each paragraph.

Home / Writing Feedback / Learning a country by visiting it (IELTS task 2); "the only source of knowledge is experience"