IELTS: learning a foreign language early has benefits for an individual but not for the culture

Hiruni 3 / 14 3  
Language is the most prominent way of communicating each other. Different cultures use different languages. The language that parents inherit you is the mother tongue. Accept that all other languages become the foreign language. In Sri lanka Sinhala is the mother tongue, English has become the most needed foreign language.

Some experts believe that primary school is the best place to begin learning a foreign language rather than secondary school. I believe it has both good as well as bad aspects

Learning a language is not like learning some other subjects. The more we practice a language, the more we get better. Since the mind of a primary child is fresh, it is easier for them to learn new words and enrich their vocabulary. It is not something child leans because they have to. They will also learn how to pronounce those words properly. Children in young age are not shy as teenagers. They say things out loud even though they don't know the meaning of it. These children benefit the slow and longer version of learning a foreign language, which adults will never have.

On the other hand this may leads some problems too. Mother tongue is the first language we learn. It is more important for the thinking process. It has to be rooted well for the better development of the brain. By trying to include another language in early age, children may get confused. Child might not be able to draw a line between his mother tongue, and the foreign language. By not distinguishing the different between those languages could leads the child to not to learn both languages properly. In secondary School there mother tongue is strong, that they know if there are learning another language.

In a different scenario if child lean the foreign language better than the mother tongue, mother tongue can become extinct, this is a main problem in Sri Lanka nowadays. Sri Lanka is the only country which speaks "Sinhala". But the necessity has given the "English" language the more concern.

Therefore in conclusion I believe learning a foreign language; in primary age has benefits as an individual, but as a nation it might have bad effects to the culture.
You should have included the essay prompt for us to have a better understanding as to what it requires from you.
Language is the most prominent way of communicating with each other. Different culturescommunities haveuse different languages or dialects.The language that parents inherit you is the mother tongue(this sentence does not provide any meaningful contribution to your essay).Accept that all other languages become the foreign language. In Sri lanka Sinhala is the mother tongue, English has become the most needed foreign language.

Hi Hiruni,
You need to follow a better approach for IELTS Task 2 introduction. You should open your intro with a good hook (a catchy sentence that is meaningful and providing a good entrance to your essay). Then introduce the background of the issue by paraphrasing your prompt. Then state your opinion on the issue very clearly.

Had you included the prompt , I could have helped you with a sample intro :)
OP Hiruni 3 / 14 3  
Thank you for the corrections. Now i have some idea about my flows.
my prompt was " Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school"
Hi Hiruni - Welcome to Essay Forum and glad to meet someone from Sri Lanka :) ... I and dumi are both from Sri Lanka and we have been with this forum for quite some time and dumi made her way to become a moderator too :)

Ok, as for the approach you need to follow for this task, this is what we suggest you;
Introduction - Begin your essay with an interesting hook which is relevant to your topic. Then introduce the background of the issue by paraphrasing the prompt. Then state your own opinion. Example;

We live in a heavily globalized world today. .... Your hook
Therefore learning foreign languages has become very more important in today's context and some people believe that children should begin to learn a foreign language at the primary school itself rather than waiting to learn it at the secondary school. .... background of the issue

I too agree with this view. ... your opinion

Now, in the body paras, give reasons to justify your opinion and support them with specific examples.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: learning a foreign language early has benefits for an individual but not for the culture