IELTS WRITING ESSAY ABOUT LEARNING A LANGUAGE AND A FOREIGN CULTURE

fuong0510 1 / -  
In order to learn a language well, we should learn about the country as well as the cultures and lifestyles of the people who speak it. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

study a new language without knowledge about a country

Some people believe that if you want to learn a language well, you should be knowledgable about the country as well as the things of people who speak it such as cultures and lifestyles. Although I disagree with this point of view, in some cases, I think having more knowledge about the country and people is also useful and necessary.

On the one hand, the way of learning a foreign language is that you must be industrious and try your best very much. If you are lazy and do not have a good way to learn, you will not attempt to your targets that you have made before, and then you can not make any progress. Moreover, the ability of learning another language also depends on the nature. Some children who even do not speak their mother language fluently can speak a foreign one more professionally.

On the other hand, having a well-grasp of the country where this language spoken can help you learn it easier. For example, children learn from the people who are familiar to them, they can stand, walk and speak naturally without any help. Therefore, when you research the information about any language, it will come unconcientiously to your mind. Moreover, you will learn slangs or native speaker's accent that help you improve your speaking skill very much.

In conclusion, I disagree with the viewpoint that learning a foreign language must learn its country and cultures.
Le, you need to familiarize yourself with the types of essays used in IELTS tests and how these are discussed. In this instance, you mistakenly did a compare and contrast discussion for an essay prompt that requires a personal opinion discussion. The problem becomes instantly obvious in your paraphrasing / opening statement. That mistake altered the discussion pattern for the essay. It also proves that you have a low level of English understanding in terms of TA considerations. Based on the provided prompt, your discussion should have been as follows in the first paragraph:

There is a common belief that those who are studying a new language that there is more to learning the language. A language student must also learn about the origin country of the language inclusive of the lifestyle and culture of its society. This, in the end, should result in a better learning of the language. I disagree with this statement to a certain degree due to a number of language learning considerations.

From that point, you must discuss only the reasons that support the extent of your argument. Had the essay indicated "Discuss both points of view and give your opinion", then the essay that you wrote would have been perfect. Since it did not then only your point of view, using first person pronouns is needed in a 4 paragraph essay. Why do I suggest a 4 paragraph essay? That number of paragraphs helps to increase the TA and GRA score because of the opportunity it provides you to better discuss and develop your English thought process and sentences.

By the way, your concluding statement could have been better. Always take the opportunity to use the closing statement to prove your English paraphrasing skills by repeating the prompt requirements, important discussion points, before finally repeating your opinion on the matter. That is the required content of the closing paragraph. I strongly urge you to use up to 5 sentences to do this in order to increase your points consideration in the final scoring process.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING ESSAY ABOUT LEARNING A LANGUAGE AND A FOREIGN CULTURE