Learning about the past IELTS task 2

Paul16 5 / 7  
Some people believe that history has little to tell us. Other people believe that people must have a knowledge of history in order to understand the present.

Discuss both points of view and give your own opinion.

In general, learning about the past has been a colossal issue over the past decades. While varied people argue that it has few impacts on modern society, it is also a popular belief that historical knowledge significantly contributes to the understanding of the present world. In this essay, I will discuss both views and explain the importance of history.

Without a doubt, learning about the past helps explain complicated things in the modern world. There is no way of escaping from the fact that history teaches people why and how society has developed since the ancient age. Through history lessons, children know the way scientists came up with and invented significant innovations, such as smartphones or the Internet. On the other hand, varying people would argue having a knowledge of past discoveries only reminds humankind of the old days without benefits. However, studying history does also play a vital role in motivating human beings to enhance even more by informing them about inspiring explorations in the past.

Equally important, history provides learners with invaluable experience. Studying the past does not only help people realize and avoid worthless failures but also points out key factors to success. For instance, society would continue making harmful economic decisions unless they learn from the causes of global recessions the world had faced. Meanwhile, directly trying to face problems is also considered a possible solution and in this case, historical knowledge has little to tell humans. Nevertheless, this would be much more time-consuming as people could have to retry many times in comparison to drawing experience from similar situations in the past.

In conclusion, while it is a popular belief that history has little influence on modern people, many would consider its significant contributions to the understanding of the present. In my opinion, I believe studying the past does play a major part in explaining things and giving experience.

I'd love to see your feedback and suggestions a lot. Thanks in advance!
learning about the past has been a colossal issue over the past decades.

There is no collosal issue being presented. Merely a difference of belieffs. You are trying to use a phrase I taught you. That is good. The bad, is that you used it improperly. / There is no "bug" reference in the prompt. Thus, indicating that you misunderstood the topic being presented.

Tip: Do not just use newly learned phrases for the sake of using it. It must be referred to in the proper context otherwise, it doesn't help your score.

In this essay, I will discuss both views and explain the importance of history.

This is a repeat of the instructions, not a thesis reference. What is your opinion ? Do not explain the importance of history. Rather, support one of the 2 given reasons with a personal reason. Rather, explain how history establishes an understanding of the present or, why history is an irrelevant refence to present times. Nobody asked you to explain why history is important. Do not change the prompt requirements . An unrelated discussion will automatically get you a failing score.

You portray your explanation solely from your personal view. The 3 discussion points must refer to explanations of the previous 2 groups before your own. You also only explain the importance of history. You do not make reference to the major discussion points provided The essay can and will fail since you did not follow the discussion requirements. Your discussion format is improper and doesn't follow the required format.

Without a doubt,

There is a doubt based on the given presentation. You are really failing bigtime with this essay. There are 2 beliefs because of the doubts about the importance of history.

You clearly have English comprehension skill issues that can only be addressed by more comprehension exercises prior to more essay response practices.

Home / Writing Feedback / Learning about the past IELTS task 2