Has learning about the past been beneficial to our present life? Help me correct it.

ngocnam 1 / -  
I am going to take the toefl ibt test at the end of this month, please help me revise it correctly...thank you so much

Topic: Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Essay:

Have we even wondered that why we have history subject as a pre-requisite course in school. The answer seems simply because history tells people about what happened in the past that is very useful for us in some cases. Therefore, I completely disagree with statement that learning from the past is pointless.

First of all, gone are the days people pass the historical stories down orally to our next generations in order to preserve our treasure of knowledge that we had to acquire for centuries. Today, we are able to keep them easily through many kinds of methods, such as writing on papers or transforming into digital forms. However, why do we try to preserve it? The reason for our efforts to keep our past against oblivion is because of its very important role for next generations. Judging from history, a lot of terrible mistakes can be traced so that we may easily avoid its consequences. For instance, thanks to marine experiences written in documents by ancient people, we can now go on voyage safely, and that's also basis of modern marine industry.

Secondly, not only can we learn mistakes from history but also it teaches us how to respect the value it has passes down to us. Thus, we are likely to grow up with right understanding of what happened in the past. The way people act and behave is based on their perspective of situation. That perspective once again is built through experience we got in the past. Therefore, a comprehensive knowledge about history drives people to deal well with a lot of situations in their daily life.

History is a place where restores our memory. It is either good or bad, but it still gives us lessons in which we are from them becoming a better people. For me, knowing about history is always my lucky thing in my life.
butterbescotch 6 / 41  
in the past that is very useful for us in some cases I guess you replace" some cases" with present and future.

--------

It looks good but I suggest you throw some additional ideas like History helps us not to commit similar mistakes. We can learn what went wrong and why.

Good Luck!
Have we even wondered that why we have the subject of history as a pre-requisite course in school.

The answer seems to be simply that history tells people about what happened in the past, and that is very useful for us in some cases.

Therefore, I completely disagree with statement that learning from the past is pointless.---me too!

Pural: their consequences
Judging from history, a lot of terrible mistakes can be traced so that we may easily avoid their consequences.

Studying history is a practice that preserves our memory.
:-) Nice job!!!!

Home / Writing Feedback / Has learning about the past been beneficial to our present life? Help me correct it.