'Lecture and reading passage' - Toefl: integrated essay

monayoussef 1 / -  
The lecture opposes the reading passage in three main points. The reading passage claims that the traditional voting system is inefficient and should be replaced by new computerized systems. On the other hand, the lecture claims that the computerized voting systems can not reliable as well.

First, the lecture says that many people are not used to computers and new technologies. these people can vote wrongly or even do not vote at all because of their fear of technology.

Second, the lecture shows that computers mistakes can be more severe than human mistakes. In addition, the voting systems are programmed by humans. So, a single coding error can cause a lot of votes to be miscounted or even not counted at all. In addition, these votes will not have physical references to get them back in-case of calculation errors.

Finally, the lecture declares that we can not trust computer-based voting systems as we trust online banking and communication systems. These systems are used daily and heavily, plus, they have been improved over and over until became trusted to all of us. Therefore, they can not be compared to the computer-based voting systems that are used only once every 2 years nationally, or twice per year in some local areas.

In summary, we can see that the lecture opposes all the points introduced in the reading passage.
On the other hand, the lecture claims that the computerized voting systems can not reliable as welleither .

First, the lecturer says that many people are not used to computers and new technologies. These people can vote wrongly or even do not vote at all because of their fear of technology.

Second, the lecture shows that computers mistakes which can be more severe than human mistakes.

These systems are used daily and heavily, plus, they have been improved on over and over until they became trusted by all of us.

:)
ggalaxy 2 / 7  
About the TOEFL IBT integrated writing task (Lecture vs Passage)?

Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning the writing section of the TOEFL IBT. Specifically, the Integrated writing task. Does the lecture always refute/contradict the reading passage? please give me more details.

Thank you.
No... Sometimes the lecturer supports the arguments presented by the writing section by citing examples. So, the tasks for Integrated TOEFL Writing can take two forms;

1. Lecturer refutes what is said in the Writing passage by citing examples
2. Lecturer strengthens the arguments presented by the Writing Passage by citing examples.
Go through a few past papers and you would find both types.
ggalaxy 2 / 7  
Thank you so much Pahan.

Home / Writing Feedback / 'Lecture and reading passage' - Toefl: integrated essay