IELTS essay-whether writing letters will disappear completely

maxine2012 1 / 2  
QUESTION:With the increasing use of mobile phones, less people tend to write letters. Some people believe that writing letters will disappear completely. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

With mobile phones becoming increasingly common in modern life, writing letters seems to have gone out of date. Some people harbour the view that writing letters will be totally replaced by other modern means of communication, which I think is partly true.

There is no denying that the communication technology has always been under rapid development in recent decades. Take mobile phones as a demonstration, the only function of the first mobile phone is to make a phone call when it was invented. However, after years of improvement, the mobile phones now can not only make phone calls but also send text messages and even surf the Internet, which makes it much more convenient for people to talk to others using mobile phones. Additionally, there are various ways to communicate with others now, such as emails, faxes and instant messaging services online. Therefore, writing letters seems to be a less efficient way to send messages at present.

However, writing letters has its own advantages. Sometimes it is necessary for people to keep a hand-writing letter as a proof or a commemorative item. What's more, it is also a good way to express one's emotion and sincerity. Some cold, standard typed letters cannot replace the handwriting. Letters can help to keep the sense of reality when people touching it and holding it.

In conclusion, this old and useful way of communication, writing letters, may be a less popular way to send messages. However, it will not be totally replaced by other modern means of communications.

Any comments are welcomed!
thank you so much for reading
xiaoyu 2 / 2  
hi
in my opinion, the second paragraph lacks a topic sentence, which I guess would be that much convenience brought by mobile phones leads to the unpopularity of writing letters.

the third paragraph, I think it may be better to adress some disadvantages of writing letters after its merits, you know, to defend your idea indirectly.
OP maxine2012 1 / 2  
i got it
thanks for your advice~
amitt - / 80  
Disadvantages
SMS text can't replace offical/legal letters for that there is always need of hand written letters. SMS text are totally un-offical way of presenting your self, it can run among friends/family for chit-chat only. Very important messages should be hand-written. Also visibility problems while reading are some other disadvantages. SMS text or emails are still not legal

Please, re-look again your essay there should be more inputs in advantages as well as disadvantages
Re-write again & post
OP maxine2012 1 / 2  

There is no denying that the communication technology has always been under rapid development in recent decades, writing letters has been a less popular method of intercourse. Take mobile phones as a demonstration, it has become a universal communication tool. The mobile phones now can not only make phone calls but also send text messages and even surf the Internet, which makes it much more convenient for people to talk to others. Additionally, there are various ways to communicate with others now, such as emails, faxes and instant messaging services online, which are all quick and accurate. Therefore, writing letters seems to be a less efficient way to send messages at present.

However, writing letters has its own advantages. Sometimes it is necessary for people to keep a hand-written letter as a proof, paper letters are still the most formal and valid information medium considering legal effect. Up to present, important archives are still required to be paper letters. What's more, it is also a good way to express one's emotion and sincerity. Some cold, standard typed letters cannot replace the handwriting. Letters can help to keep the sense of reality when people touching it and holding it.

thanks for your reading
silverfi 2 / 5  
Yes, writing letters can still show more intimacy and people can appreciate the effort that the process of selecting cards or letters, hand-writing, and going to the post office.

It is still the beauty of friendly communication I think! :D

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS essay-whether writing letters will disappear completely