IELTS WT2: Library vs. Computer Technology

Inspired2012 4 / 20 6  
Public Libraries should not be maintained any more since we already have computer technology. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion.

Advancement in technology has rapidly peaking towards success for the last 100 years. It has made a huge decline in the use of library with the existence of computers. Others argue that there is no means of maintaining them at all. My view is that, statistically, at present, libraries are continuously operating due to various reasons and will be analysed in this essay.

Evidently, in many countries, the number of public libraries are still high. Some of them levelled up their quality of service to the locals to be kept worthy. The library in our council Canterbury, for example, opened-up a computer based catalogue and reservation system for the public. In addition, the provided a separate room for computer & internet use wherein students and other people can do their research inside the vicinity of what used to be book & paper building. As these attempts of improvement show, facilitators of libraries have found their way to work with technology to enhance their value.

Additionally, computer technology has been proven to result in physical damage to the human body. For instance, prolonged use of computers may harm our vision through radiation. In contrast, the use of books made from papers will likely cause less damage to the reader's eye sight. Moreover, some libraries do provide bean bags and comfortable lounge chairs for the readers. It helps to maintain body posture properly than sitting in a computer chair for a long time. It is therefore preferred by many to read on books inside the library to keep a healthy eye condition, and utilize comfy chairs to prevent back problems.

It is felt that, although computer technology and the use of internet provide benefits to people, it cannot totally eliminate the use of library for the said reasons. Personally, I will recommend that both can work hand-in-hand with each other to still be able to serve the public's learning process in the old fashioned way plus using the advance equipments such as computers.
Advancement in technology has rapidly peaking towards success for the last 100 years.

When you introduce the topic, try as much as you can to align your first sentence with the core of your topic. In that sense, this sentence does not add any value to your essay. Remember, the first sentence needs to be a catchy one because that's the one which is going to give the first impression about your writing ability. Open with a simple interesting sentence that easily paves the way for you to proceed with your topic. For example:

Rapid advancement of computer technology led the world to shift from hard copies to the soft copies.
this one looks more aligned with your topic. Always be concious about what the prompt ask and maintain that alignment without deviating from it.
princedynasty 15 / 57 4  
@Dumi: I know plagiarism is fobbidden but can I copy your sentence, certainly with your permission?? :D So impressive !
@ princedynasty : No worries... I don't expect to claim patent rights for what I write on EF :D :D
OP Inspired2012 4 / 20 6  
O wow Dumi you are so right, I find it hard to construct a good introduction. But I will certainly take your advice. Thanks a lot.

Uhhhmmmmmmm did you I made my points clear in the paragraphs that libraries should be maintained? Or my ideas are bad? ;))) Pls let me know. Ty
Don't think you cannot do a good introduction. You certainly can.... you are good with writing... It's just that you need to get the right habits when you do the intro.

These are my tips again:
You can make use of the prompt for your first sentence. Don't think out of the world to get a catchy opening. Do a simple one. Now take this prompt for example. It talks about replacing books with computers. So ask yourself do you agree or no. If you do, just think why (or otherwise)

I thought in that line and that's how this hard copy and soft copy thing came into my mind. You need a little time to analyse the topic and write down the first sentence. Most important thing is that whatever you say, it needs to be aligned with your topic.

I got some help from Jason Ranshaw's website for TOEFL writing and hope it is still there. His tips are quite useful... google and see.

Also ... about the body paras, they are pretty good.... You follow the right structure ... Reason and example with good vocabulary and grammer ... they are really good

: )
OP Inspired2012 4 / 20 6  
Thanks Dumi, I started reading introduction tips and surely I have issues with introducing my topic. I recalled some of my previous written essays and whhhhhhhhhheeeeew my intro's are really out of the line with the topic. Thanks a lot. I am working on it.

Thank you and God Bless you.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WT2: Library vs. Computer Technology