Is My Life Worth Saving Someone Else Working in Law Enforcement?

necheecraig 1 / -  

"It is a job that needs to be done"

It sounds like a dream job to some people. Driving through traffic chasing another vehicle, running after someone through a neighborhood and jumping over brick fences. The reward for catching a suspect is keeping everyone else safe and that is the main goal of an officer. We rely on law enforcement to keep us safe. But looking from an officer's point of view, how do we keep them safe?

It is a great thing to look at your pay check and see that you're getting paid between $25 - $30 an hour. The hours vary but as with any other job, it's based on seniority. You get a shift that no one wants and days off that fall during the week. Retirement after 25 years, take home vehicles, free access to fitness facilities, discounts at restaurants and tuition reimbursement are great incentives to working in law enforcement.

Working in law enforcement, I can tell you there's nothing more that we want other than to make a difference in someone's life. We see so much negative in this world, that we want to make the best of what we do. One change in someone's life can go a long way. We live in the communities that we want to see change in a positive way. We want to be that example for someone who needs to look up to someone.

I always wondered why officers would put their lives on the line for someone else? I've interviewed 2 officers on the reasons why they like being in law enforcement. Both women say that it's very rewarding for them. They don't look at it as risking their lives but doing their duty for society. One of the officer says" Yes, it is a very dangerous job. But knowing you helped a family in a domestic violence is safe, a person who wants to commit suicide got the help they needed. It's thing like that makes it worth it." They both agree that we (as society) need people that are willing to put their lives before others and honest officers to make this world a better place.

Working as an officer can be over whelming and stressful and you would need some type of outlet. These women both have different ways to relieve stress, so they can do their job without any interruption. Everyone is different and has ways to release their stress. One of these officers would going running and spend time with her family (shopping, bbq, and swimming). Not all the time are officers on duty. "Officers must prepare to become civilians" quoted Brian Kinnaird from "Life After Law Enforcement."

Some people are born to help others, and some are born with generations of family being officers. Officers need to have the right set of minds to do this kind of job. There are some people that became officers just for the benefits and do not last more than a year because they were not mentally ready for the danger that came with the job. There are some people who love to seek danger. They love the thrill of it. These kinds of people want to be the first person through the door to despite what kind of danger is there. They are mentally ready for anything is thrown their way. I have met officers that are so kind and loving. They want to share it with anyone who needs help. They know the danger that comes in this sort of business, but they are still eager to go out into danger to aid civilians.

It seems like everyday some officer got shot, stabbed and worse murder. Most people watch the TV series COPS. What the viewers don't see is the officer thinking am I going home today/night. There is a big target on an officer back. Some people see officers as evil people that are out to get them. There are some that make it their mission to break the law and they will do anything not to get caught. Officers that work in jail/ prison have hits (someone has marked another person for assassination) out on them. Everyday going into work and worry if someone going to get jump (more than one person fighting you) or stab in the back for jail/prison politics. Officers are exposed to some disturbing violence that could change a person mind if they should continue with this job or move forward. You watch a movie like Lethal Weapon and say to yourself "Man, that looks like fun. I think I could do that". In reality, it is anything but fun.

Some of the of things you hear when on duty can also affect a person. With all the negativity towards officers you must have think skin. If you are the type of person that takes things personal, it will be difficult job. Induvial will try to say and do anything to get some type of negative response, just so they can go to social media and post their experience (negative post) with officers. People also try to provoke a fight with officer, so they can sue the department for thousands of dollars. The public fear us and because of that they will have something harmful to say. Yeah, I get it. Back in the day officers didn't follow by their own rules and they would do whatever they wanted to do. We have improved public affairs and have been working on giving officers a better interpretation. As officers we have to take classes on how to work with the public in a professional way and how to approach any type of situations.

So, I'm going to ask the question again. Is your life worth someone else's in law enforcement? Working in this field I have found out that it takes a strong person with a solid state of mind to be able to fulfill their duties in this line of work. If you stand for just and is willing to do anything for it, this is the place for you. But be warned, it's no walk in the park. If you are in it just for the money and benefits this is not the job for you. Now don't get me wrong you can do it, but it will be a tough and stressful job. In this field you need to have people skills and know when to act. This is a huge responsibility to serve and to protect the public. Is it worth it? Ahuva Herut, Aspiring artist and mediocre writer says, "It is a job that needs to be done and is not something that can be called "worth it".
Nechee, this is a very timely piece of writing here. Your personal insight into the life of a police officer and what the job entails is enlightening and allows us to see the job from the other side. I wish you had included some insight into how police officers handle the current refusal of service and pigs in a blanket scenarios. Being on the inside, it would have been a learning experience for the reader to learn how the police officers feel and what they think about the ongoing harassment of police officers. Even without those parts though, this is one essay that you must be extremely proud to have written.

Aside from some grammatical errors that any word processing program can detect and automatically detect for you. I do not see any need to revise the content of your essay.

However, I do not really see a personal response from you regarding whether you believe that saving someone else's life as a law enforcement official is worth it. I heard from every one else and even got a nice quote at the end, but I never did hear what you personally think about putting your life on the line everyday for complete strangers and their safety. Maybe you can still add a sentence or two that reflects your personal take on that question?

Let me close by telling you something that I hope you hear everyday while you work to keep the community safe, "Thank you for your service."

Home / Writing Feedback / Is My Life Worth Saving Someone Else Working in Law Enforcement?