IELTS TASK 1: LINE GRAPH ABOUT CHANGES IN PRICE

MRielts 1 / -  
Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

The line chart provides information about the changes in price of different food groups in the USA from 1979 to 2009, and the overall trend in the consumer-price index. Overall, it is clear that the period witnessed a general increase in the 3 food group products, despite minor fluctuations. Among the food commodity groups, only fresh fruits and vegetables showed a more significant rise in price than that of the overall index and other given food types.

Starting at the same point as the overall index at over 50 in 1979, the figure for fresh fruits and vegetable crops' price slightly varied over the 30-year period. The fruits and vegetables' price nearly remained the same as the consumer index's for the first 6 years before starting increase rapidly during the remainder of the time, reaching its highest value in 2009, at over 300.

The corresponding figures for sugary products and carbonated drinks, despite being similar to the previous group in terms of an upward trend, showed a less volatile data. Throughtout the years, both food groups' prices gradually increase, hitting their final higest point in 2009. Peaking at exactly 200, the cost of sweets and sugars was higher than the figure for carbonated drinks- just over 150- at the end of the period.

Hope to see your feedbacks. Thank you!

I have to say, this is a very impressive task 1 presentation. It is almost totally accurate in representing the data. Almost totally accurate because you missed some information in the summary overview. You left the reader with lacking information when you said; " in the 3 food group products". What 3 food group products? You should have mentioned that as part of the information run-down in the same manner that you indicated: "..." That is definitely the way to go with the summary overview presentation. Letting the reader know about what information is presented in the chart early on helps the reader keep track of the information you will be providing and makes a self - explanatory understanding as to why the information needs to be presented and how.

I have a question though, where did you get the reference to the consumer price index? It doesn't show up anywhere in the original image. Just wondering. If it wasn't part of the original discussion, you should not include it as it misrepresents the information you are giving the reader.

When you write the plural form of vegetables and groups, and crops, you don't need to place an apostrophe at the end of it. You are representing the plural forms, not ownership forms of the words. Additionally, when referring to consumer indexes for the past 6 years, you don't need an apostrophe S at the end of the word index. Your spelling of the word is wrong and so that made the word usage wrong as well. You misused the punctuation marks in both instances, which will be GRA deductions based on improper punctuation usage. It will also result in lower LR scores because you improperly used the word representations.

As per GRA considerations, you should not use the "word in the middle of dashes" either. That is not really an academic writing form. A comma used just before the word "just" would have sufficed to show a pause prior to continuous reading of the sentence.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS TASK 1: LINE GRAPH ABOUT CHANGES IN PRICE