IELTS task 1: Line graph on four materials recycling rate over time

vuthuylinh2611 19 / 61 1  

the percentage of recycled materials from 1982 to 2010

The line graph illustrates the percentage of paper and cardboard, glass containers, aluminium cans and plastics recycled during a 28 years period: from 1982 to 2010 in a country. Among four types of material, paper and cardboard were recycled the most. However, since 1994 the recycling rate for this material experienced a downward trend while those of other materials were generally upward.

In the upward trend group, the recycling rate of aluminium cans increased most steeply from only about 5% in 1986 to 45% in 2010. Meanwhile, the proportion of plastic recycled rose at a much slower pace from around 3% in 1990 to approximately 8% in 2010. The rate of glass containers recycled experienced a drop in the first eight years (from 1982 to 1990) from 50% to 40% but the figure then bounced back again in 1994 to its original point. The upward trend continued until the recycling rate reached 60% in 2010.

The percentage of paper and cardboard recycled went up erratically from 65% in 1982 to 80% in 1994 but then it felt moderately to 70% in 2010.

I would still prefer that you do not use required information in a parenthesis. That is not actually a type of punctuation mark that helps advance your score in this presentation. A parenthesis is used mostly for optional or related but not too important information. You have to understand that every piece of information in this chart is important, not optional or distantly related to the topic being discussed. So give it the proper importance it deserves. You did a good job on presenting the information in this essay. The punctuation marks you used show that you have an increasingly good grasp of how to write in English. You have also shown that you know how to properly use estimates when required in the essay. Overall, this is a passing score essay. It may not be perfect yet, but the mistakes made are minimal enough to probably earn you a score of 6. I look forward to seeing you progress further with your writing skills.
OP vuthuylinh2611 19 / 61 1  
Thank you for your helpful comment

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS task 1: Line graph on four materials recycling rate over time