The line graph gives data about four sectors in terms of the amount of acid rain emissions in the UK

linhkn 1 / -  
IELTS WRITING TASK 1

UK acid rain emissions

The line graph gives data about four sectors in terms of the amount of acid rain emissions that were produced in the UK over a period of 17 years.

It is clear that the amount of acid rain emissions in the UK went down dramatically from 1990 to 2007. The most significant decrease was witnessed in the Electricity, Gas and Water supply sector.

In 1990, around 3.3 million tonnes of acid rain emissions came from Electricity, Gas and Water supply. The Transport and Communication sector was responsible for 0.7 million tonnes of emissions while the Domestic sector produced about 0.6 million tonnes. Just over 2 million tonnes of acid rain gases came from Other Industries.

Emissions from Electricity, Gas and Water supply fell considerably to only 0.5 million tonnes in 2007, a decline of almost 3 million tonnes. Whereas acid rain gases from the Domestic and Other Industries sector fell slightly, the Transport and Communication sector saw a modestly increase in emissions, hit a record-high of 1 million tonnes in 2005.

The writer uses long sentences with combined information presentations too often in this essay. It creates a cluttered presentation that does not really inform the reader in a useful manner. Instead, the writer presents forgettable information since each sentence overpresents it. Every sentence should only refer to one or 2 connected information bits. Never throw in all of the information into a single sentence due to the possibility of being given a failing preliminary GRA score. Every paragraph in this task will do well with a 3-5 sentence presentation as advised by most IELTS experts who come from the native speaker realm.

The trending statement should not have mentioned only 3 out of 4 in the list. It became an incomplete enumeration in the process. Rather, the writer should only have used 2 sentences in this section by choosing to report only on a single high (the hightest) and low (the lowest) point, rather than saying that all 3 have the same trend. That is not a trending statement but a reporting sentence. Learn the difference in the presentation structure.

A statement of fact cannot be be used in this presentation because the line graphs depict varying measurement levels that play within a specific range. Instead of stating information as factual, the writer should use an estimation for the presentation instead. That will help show that the line graph measurements were not definite in portrayal but rather, fluctuating in reference.

Home / Writing Feedback / The line graph gives data about four sectors in terms of the amount of acid rain emissions in the UK