TOEFL: Living in a big city has many merit and some disadvantages!

kevinhsin1124 11 / 10  
I grew up in a big city, Taipei. I love live in this big city. But some people prefer to live in a small town, enjoy a rural life. There have both advantage and disadvantage in big city. Here is my opinion:

First of all, the main advantage in live in a big city is the job chance. For the one hand, live in a big city has more chance to find a job. For example, when a young man graduated from a university, he often finds a job in a big city. Because of many companies are established in a big city. There are few chance in a small town. In the other way, many people were moved to big city from a small town or other country. Hence, live in the big city has a lot of chance to contact different culture. That will helps us have a different view to face many things.

Secondly, live in a big city is very convenience. When I want to watching a movie. I just take a metro or a bus to the theater. Because of the transport system is very complete and fast. Furthermore, in the city there have many museums and department stores. People have many places to go when they have a holiday. Life in city is more colorful.

Thirdly, there also have some disadvantages in the big city. The big city often has serious air pollution. And the expense is often high. Hence, some people are prefer to live in a small town. For one thing, live in a small town, people often know each other. Not like in city, people don't know each other even the neighbors. And the life expense is not so high. There have different beautiful scene and fresh air.

In conclusion, live in a big city has many merit and some disadvantages. For me, I love live in a big city. When I old, maybe I will move to a small town to enjoy a simple life.
Nesreen 15 / 41  
In conclusion, living in a big city has many merits and some disadvantages. For me, I loveLike living in a big city. When I become old, maybe I will move to a small town to enjoy a simple life.

I guess LIKE is more Formal than LOVE.
Keep up writing.
Good Luck
babyevy 3 / 27  
I agree with Nesreen

( I don't understand this sentence)( which There???)(You have here in this paragraph to tell disadvantages of a big city not to tell the reader the benefits of small city or compare between them )

You shoul write only about the disadvantages of living in a big city, and you can start with On the other hand instead of thidly because you are changing the topic from advantages to disadvantages.

. But
,but

he often finds a job in a big city. Because of many companies are established in a big city. Thus, There are few chances to find a job in a small town

he can find a job in a big city easily because many companies are stablished in big cities.Thus, there are fewer opportunities to find a job in a small town.

. Because of the transport system is very complete and fast.
because the trasportation system is very accessible and fast . ( this is a dependent clause so it can not stand alone, you should eliminete the period and join it to the previous one)

Furthermore, in the city there have many museums and department stores.

Furthermore, there are many museums and department stores.

and maybe try to mix the first and second sentence...

I hope it helps :)
OP kevinhsin1124 11 / 10  
thx a lot~
i need more practice ~~
Thanks, everyone, for making this a great thread!
Here are a few more idea:
I love life in this big city, but some people prefer to live in a small town and enjoy a rural life.

There have are both advantages and disadvantages to living in the big city.

That will helps help us have a different view to face many things.
Secondly, live in a big city is very convenience convenient. When I want to watching watch a movie, I just take a metro or a bus to the theater.

There have different beautiful scenery and fresh air.
In conclusion, live life in a big city has many merit and some disadvantages. For me, I love live in a big city. When I old, maybe I will move to a small town to enjoy a simple life.

Live is something you do, but life is a noun. Life is what you have to live.
:-)
mayenlu 2 / 6  
Hi EF KEVIN, I am new, and I am learning a lot from your comments...

For me, I love live in a big city

is this possible??? it's the first time I see these two verbs together without to...or ing form...???
is this possible???

No!! You are correct, I intended to fix that but somehow did not fix it:
This is okay
For me, I love life in a big city.
or this
For me, I love living in a big city.
and this is even better:
Personally, I love living in a big city.

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL: Living in a big city has many merit and some disadvantages!