[IELTS TASK 2] Longer Prison Sentences And Other Solutions. Best way to reduce crime rate

Theshadow 1 / -  

longer prison sentences VS CRIME RATE

Topic:
Some people think that the best way to reduce crime is to give longer prison sentences. Others, however, believe there are better alternative ways of reducing crime. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

It is true that prolonging prison sentences is considered as the best method of lowering crime rate. However, some individuals think that there are other potential alternatives to longer sentence periods. This essay will discuss both views and state my own position.

On the one hand, longer prison sentences would serve as a deterrent for future offenders. There is no doubt that this solution would disseminate a fear of losing freedom among citizens, which obviously forces people to abandon their malevolence. Moreover, by imposing longer sentences on perpetrators, governments could give them more time to deeply reflect on their false preconceptions. For example, several criminals, who had not received formal education before, had been converted into model citizens after spending time in jail contemplating their crimes.

On the other hand, there are other optimal solutions for this problem such as enhancing living conditions of the poor. It is undeniable that people tend to break the law when their basic needs are not satisfied so this method would significantly reduce the conviction rate. Another promising approach to the problem would be to concentrate on improving the quality of rehabilitation and reintegration process of inmates. In this way, authorities would not only promote humanity but also convert the perpetrators to decent civilians. For instance, Scandinavia has the world's lowest recidivism rate thanks to the implement of such methods.

In conclusion, although certain merits of prolonging prison sentences could partially reduce the crime rate, I am convinced by the other aforementioned solutions because of their humanitarian traits. (254 words)
Constance [Contributor] - / 19 9  
In paragraph two, give at least two examples of criminals who were converted into model citizens and cite that information which will strengthen the argument.

In paragraph three, give at least two examples that the Scandinavia's have used to lower the recidivism rate which will strengthen the argument. Always remember that when presenting an argument, there is the need to support the stance that you are taking.

Home / Writing Feedback / [IELTS TASK 2] Longer Prison Sentences And Other Solutions. Best way to reduce crime rate