Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

'Luciano Pavarotti' - SAT ESSAY: Is it better for people to have limited choices?

eason chen 2 / 3  
One's life is constantly affected by the choice he or she has made. It is generally borne in on people that one may benefit from multiple choices, which offer him or her more flexibility to handle novel situations. Nevertheless, multiple choices are not necessarily a boon. More often than not, human beings stubbornly insist upon having all choices available to them and end up making bad decisions. On the other hand, it is better for people to have limited choices, which compels them to focus on only one direction and raises them to prominence. My opinion can best be illustrated by the examples of Liz Murray and Luciano Pavarotti.

'From homeless to Harvard', the best-seller of 2007, relates the success of Liz, a girl from an indigent slut, who had no choice but to constantly better herself. From childhood, Liz had a miserable life, with both her parents drug-addicted. At the age of fifteen, Liz was made pregnant by her irresponsible boyfriend, who callously abandoned her and her child. There is only one choice in front of Lizïźto surmount all the difficulties to make a change. Otherwise, if she surrendered to the miserable life, she would have probably become drug-addicted as her parents. Fortunately, Liz, the indomitable girl, took the only choice and pulled every string to finish her ever-lasting dream to enter the university for high-quality education. Eventually, she successfully entered Harvard with the scholarship from New York Times. Facing the limited choices, Liz didn't hesitate to take her bright destiny.

My opinion can also be illustrated by the experience of Luciano Pavarotti, the king of high c's, whose success had been obstructed by multiple choices. After graduating from high school, Pavarotti, with a brilliant voice, had two career choicesïźan opera singer or a primary school teacher. Urged by his materialistic parents, Pavarotti reluctantly took the latter choice and became a teacher. Nevertheless, music was constantly calling to him. Therefore, six years later, Pavarotti quitted teaching and attended a local choir. However, though with great talent, Pavarotti, having wasted six years on teaching, found it extremely difficult to catch up with his contemporaries. Only by fifteen years' continuous endeavor did he stand out in the choir and rise to national prominence. Had Pavarotti been only offered the choice of singing, he would have succeeded much earlier.

Therefore, from the examples of Liz Murray and Pavarotti, we can see how in certain occasions limited choices benefit individuals more than multiple choices. Admittedly, when we made trifle decisions such as buying a computer, multiple choices are better. Nevertheless, when we are making big decisions which may affect our entire life, it is limited choices rather than multiple choices that help people to fulfill their full potential and raise them to prominence.

Home / Writing Feedback / 'Luciano Pavarotti' - SAT ESSAY: Is it better for people to have limited choices?