Machine translation is slower and less accurate than human translation - IELTS

salmav 8 / 27 4  
Machine translation (MT) is slower and less accurate than human translation and there is no immediate or predictable likelihood of machines taking over this role from humans.

Do you agree or disagree?

Presently, you can see the presence of machine translations (MT) everywhere in this world. Yes, we can deny the wonderful use of them bring to us in some ways, though they still have a heap of disadvantages such as: wasting our time as well as being less accurate and so forth. Some argues that those machines have no chance to take over the role of translating from human and some says no. From my point of view, Human is better to trust than a machine in this situation, so I agree with the first thesis above.

As I am concerned, we can use MT anywhere and anytime that we want, all you have to do is going on the website: google.com - the most popular one of all. There is a tab called "Translate", and luckily, they have almost every common language in the world right now. So it would be really convenient for us. On the other hand, Machine is a machine. They cannot have feelings like us and also not wise enough to express words with the figurative senses. The truth is they only translate word by word, which make us pretty difficult to get them.

It is also worth noting that MT frequently gives us the most common meanings of the words. To support this, I will take myself as an instance. Once I had MT translate the word "book" and they showed me: "Book is a thing, which has cover outside and paper with words inside". Actually, I did expect to see the meaning of having requirements of keeping something in advanced, in order not to lose them. Later, I had to look up dictionary, which takes plenty of my time.

Last but not least, machine translations are not totally completed yet, so there are several new words or ancient ones have not been updated. That is also another factor for them to translate ineffectively. For those reasons, they can lead us to misunderstand or even affect other things and maybe bring about the bad results.

Hope you guys give me some feedback :XX
keykey3137 1 / 2 2  
"I did expect to see the meaning of having requirements of keeping something in advanced, in order not to lose them. Later, I had to look up dictionary, which takes plenty of my time."

That part of your essay is a bit confusing and vague.

You could add somewhere that, humanly supervised machines are becoming more common in our world and there is chance that one day, machine translation would be satisfying enough.

Overall, I like your essay! :)
OP salmav 8 / 27 4  
Thank you very much. However, I cant find another way to express that confusing sentence. Should I remain or drop it ? :)
keykey3137 1 / 2 2  
It's okay, keep it. By the way, I spotted some grammatical mistakes:

"I had to look up dictionary, which takes plenty of my time." -------> I had to look up the dictionary, which took plenty of time
OP salmav 8 / 27 4  
oh yes, why I cant recognize those :( Stupid me :(
jupiter 2 / 11 2  
"...though they still have a heap of disadvantages such as: wasting our time as well as being less accurate and so forth."
It's better with
"...though they still have many disadvantages such as wasting our time, being less accurate and so forth."

As I know, "a heap of.." is used in informal cases, thus I think you should use "many" instead.
OP salmav 8 / 27 4  
yeah, Thank you :XXX
Some argues that those machines have no chance to take over the role of translating from human and some says no.

..."Some" refers to a collection of people and hence it is plural;
Some argue that machine translation would have no chance to take over human translations in terms of accuracy and efficiency while others believe otherwise.

As I am concerned, we can use MT anywhere and anytime that we want, all you have to do is going on the website: google.com - the most popular one of all.

The right form is - as far as I am concerned

You have good ideas but you need to organize your sentences better that help you arrange the flow of ideas in a more appealing manner. :)
OP salmav 8 / 27 4  
Oh, thanks for showing me :) I will practice to do so :X
Callie0202 5 / 14  
It is also worth noting that MT frequently gives us the most common meanings of the words.
Maybe you can try: MT can offer individuals only with the most common meanings of the words which is worthless in some certain situation.

Besides, the example was over detailed.

Home / Writing Feedback / Machine translation is slower and less accurate than human translation - IELTS