The main purpose of art is not to teach, but to show

airman 2 / 3  
Q12. "The main purpose of art is not to teach, but to show " Discuss.

Question Analysis:

Art(content): Can take on forms such as performing arts, sculptures, paintings&drawings, architecture)

Purposes of art:

Entertainment
Expression
Exhibition

Thesis:

Despite the fact that there are many various purposes of art, which includes entertainment, expression as well as exhibition, the basic purpose of art is to exhibit thus the basic purpose of art is not to teach, but to show.

Points anyone? Your help will be greater appreciated.
Azeri 10 / 137  
- to show certain historical, cultural events visually that took place at the lifetime of the artist. There were time when painting was the only tool to convey visual scenes of an event. For example, "The last day of Pompey" by Karl Brullov.

- to fix in painting and display prominent people for the future generations
- to reflect the mood of the society at the certain period of time, by drawing scenes from political and cultural life, city and rural environment.
Despite the fact that there are many various purposes of art, which includes include entertainment, expression, and exhibition, the basic purpose of art is to exhibit; thus the basic purpose of art is not to teach, but to show.

This is a good place to use a semi-colon like I did above.

Maybe what is lacking is a discussion of the difference between what it means to teach and what it means to show.

Art does express, but when I express something I am showing something.
When I teach, I show something. However, teaching often involves explanation. Art needs no explanation. Art is showing something, sharing an experience.

Home / Writing Feedback / The main purpose of art is not to teach, but to show