[IELTS] what should be the main function of a university ?

lionsola 1 / -  
Q: Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer.

What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university?
----------

There are different views on what universities' main function should be. While some thinks it is not important to consider employers' needs, I am convinced that students should be given the necessary knowledge and skills to work as an employee.

On the one hand, teaching students what needed in a workplace greatly prepares them for the future. Not only does it help them grasp the general picture of the jobs they will do but also shapes good attitudes and habits towards working before actually going to work. For example, when a well - prepared student enters a company, he will have had the demanded skills already and start to work without any difficulties. In contrast, if the student knew only academic learning, surely he would have a tough time keeping pace with other workmates.

On the other hand, from employers' point of view, practical skills and experience are of much higher value than pure knowledge. For instance, graduates from a university which is known to provide working expertise would certainly be preferred over others in the competition for jobs. As a result, this also helps raise the reputation of that university thus attracts more potential students to it. In fact, many universities in the world with co-operative programs in which students work in local firms for several alternate terms to gain vocational experience have proven to be effective and successful.

In conclusion, universities should design courses according to the workplace's demands as this would not only boost their status but also bring benefits to both students and employers.

thanks in advance !!!!
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
While some think it is not important to consider employers' needs, I am convinced that students should be given the necessary knowledge and skills to work as an employee.

On the one hand, teaching students what isneededrequired in a workplace greatly prepares them for the future.

Not only does it help them grasp the general picture of thetheir future jobs,buta college programthey will do but alsooften shapes good attitudes and habits towards working.before actually going to work.

For example, when a well prepared student enters a company, he will have hadlearned the demandedexpected skills already and start tocan begin work without any difficulties.

On the other hand, from an employers' point of view, practical skills and experience are of much higher value than pure knowledge.
For instance, graduates from a university which is known to provide working expertise would certainly be preferred over others in the competition for jobs.

You could say this: If a person graduates from a university that is well known for internships and on the job training, they have an advantage over others when competing for jobs.

Home / Writing Feedback / [IELTS] what should be the main function of a university ?