Major cities help understand characteristics of that society?

soran942 1 / 1  
Although the study of a particular society ought to be a multifaceted approach so that many features of that society are scrutinized, in this statement it is not clarified what attributions have to be examined. Given the ambiguity of the statement, I do not concur with this statement because I believed that the major cities solely do not exhibit overall characteristics of a typical society. In order to thoroughly study a society, it is imperative to scientifically select targeted areas ranging from a tiny village to a megacity which comprehensively represent the real picture of that given society.

To establish a framework for this argument, in case we aim to study socio-demographic attributes of a particular population; undoubtedly, small cities or even remote villages are more reliable as they tend to maintain many cultural and traditional customs. Additionally, they have been less influenced by the global integrative standards so that they are original in terms of conventions and intact characteristics compared with the residents of major cities whom behavioral patterns and personal identities are more vulnerable to impacts of western societies; that is, in modern times we witness the process of globalization which unknowingly attempts to assimilate diversity of ethnics and races and also to lead them towards a unified society in many ways.

If one is willing to investigate economic, academic and political profiles of a typical society, then major cities are appropriate regions. The crux of the matter is, big cities are the hub of above mentioned issues and activities; thus, conducting studies on major cities help better perception of the level of advancement and performance of a society consists of its both government and public. For instance, counting the number of research institutions and technology parks reveals the significance of growth rate of science or the existence of various political parties with miscellaneous tendencies demonstrates the tolerance rate of the local government.

As long as the required kind of characteristics is vague, the exact examination of a society would be difficult. However, I discredit this statement because it does not give the clarity of what attributes need to be assessed. Thus, having limited knowledge on this statement merely allows me to maintain that smaller cities are apt samples for evaluation of as they originally provides more ingenious characteristics of a targeted society.
Given the ambiguity of thestatement, I do not concur with this statement because I believed that the major cities solely do not exhibit overall characteristics of a typical society.

..."statement" is getting repeated too soon ;
Given the ambiguity of this statement, I do not wish to agree with it because I believe that major cities fail to reveal every aspect of its society.

undoubtedly, small cities or even remote villages are more reliable as they tend to maintain many cultural and traditional customs

.... this is a strong point :)
Are you preparing for GRE? Include your purpose in the topic. Also, make sure you post these essays into Writing Feedback forum in the future. I transferred this there :)
OP soran942 1 / 1  
Hi,

Firstly, thank you for your prompt revision of my essay. Actually, as you conjectured, I am preparing for GRE and wish to post additional essays into Writing Feedback forum.

As an Iranian scholar living in underprivileged city as well as due to lack of adequate facilities and competent English instructors, any advise and support from you would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Soran Aminiaghdam
.... it is not only you who suffer from lack of adequate facilities, but most of us too. So it is not an issue at all. We'd continue to support you :)

The best option for us is to take the advantage of every opportunity practice. A language cannot learn from books alone. You need to practice. Write lots of essays and post them there for our feedbacks.

Home / Writing Feedback / Major cities help understand characteristics of that society?