To make extraordinary efforts to save endangered animal or plant species

Takeiteasy 5 / 12 6  
Society should make efforts to save endangered species only if the potential extinction of those species is the result of human activities.

Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position.

Here is my response. Please correct my essay. I would really appreciate your help. It means a lot for me. Thanks in advance.

As the most powerful species on the planet, human beings should make every effort possible to save endangered animal and species. It is true that to do this often means we have to spend a lot of money and some people will lose their jobs, however, it also can potentially benefit us economically and make our environment better, not to mention that every species have their own rights to exist on the earth.

Human beings have been causing more and more species disappear from the earth. Since there are so many people on the earth, and every one naturally needs food, we have done so much to exploit the planet. We burn up the forest to make land available for farming, we dig up the ground for coal and other natural resources, and we march into the sea to catch any fish which is tasty and healthy for us to eat. In the process, we have destroyed many animals' living environments, as a result of which they go extinct. It is just natural selection, some people might argue. I concede that it is true natural selection have its own part to play, however, since we have dominated the earth, the species have been disappearing in an unprecedented rate.

The alarming decrease of so many species should make us aware the serious consequences that followed. The nature is an ecosystem, just like the human body. Of the human body, if one finger is hurt, the whole body will feel the pain. So is the ecosystem. If one animal disappeared from the face of the earth, the other species will be affected. This is why I would not agree with some people's argument, which claims that some species are not important, and we can afford to just let them die.

We should make extraordinary efforts to protect the endangered species, not only because they are important for the ecosystem, which matters a lot for our living conditions, also because they have their own rights to exist. We are the most powerful species, but it doesn't follow we could do whatever we want, without taking other species into consideration. As long as they don't cause harm to us, they should be left alone. We should respect their lives just like our own.

Some people might agree with me that we should protect the endangered species, but disagree that we should make extraordinary efforts to do so. To save these animals and birds might cost a lot, which could be used for other purposes, they would protest. There are still people dying in Africa from hunger and preventable diseases, and we should spend money to save these people instead of animals. I think to save people is absolutely important, but saving endangered species is important as well. As I have argued before, the plants and the animals are important for the ecosystem. If the overall ecosystem is affected, it might not turn into human being's favor. For example, the plants on the mountains can save the rainwater, which goes underground and is finally used by people. They can also prevent the mountain slides when there are huge rainfalls. Mountain slides have caused many disasters. Therefore, in a sense, to save endangered species is to save human beings.

To save endangered species also create jobs. Take pandas in China for instance. Many people have seen pandas in zoos. To take care of pandas needs a great number of people, probably more than taking care of baby. The zoo will have to hire people to build habitats for the pandas, people who feed pandas, people who check pandas when they are sick, people who nurse them when they are having babies, and so on. So while to protect endangered species often means to keep natural habitats from being developed economically, as a result of which there will be less jobs created, there will be other jobs created in taking care of the endangered species.

Saving endangered species does not only benefit them, but also benefit human beings. It could protect the diversity of species, save human lives and create jobs. It also benefits us economically, which are more valuable than the money we are going to spend. In sum, to save these plants and animals in danger is to save ourselves, and generations after us.
Jianfeng, I will admit that you have written a highly persuasive essay that touches on a very controversial topic. However, you seem to speak of the endangered species in general terms rather than using specifics. The essay said that you man should support the effort to save an endangered species only if the potential extinction is the result of human activities. So I was looking for more specific instances in your essay for discussion as opposed to your general discussion.

One way of discussing this essay is by looking into the illegal tuna fishing. This activity, by man, has led to the demise of dolphins. When the tuna fish is harvested, the dolphins, that live in the same waters, also get harvested. The dolphins get caught in the nets and die. This illegal fishing activity has cause the endangerment of the dolphins. Therefore, man should do what he can to save the dolphins from becoming an endangered species.

That said, it is important to note that while your essay successfully argues your support of the policy, you neglected to address the possible problems arising from the said policy. I do not doubt that the lack of that discussion is because you decided to discuss the endangerment of animals on a general scale instead of on a specific platform. Had you chosen a specific type of animal endangerment to address, you would have been able to discuss the consequences of implementing the policy and how you still support the policy regardless of the drawbacks.

As of this moment, the essay you wrote does not completely respond to the prompt. If you can revise the essay by selecting a specific endangered animal and its accompanying wildlife policy to discuss, you will be able to create a better and more complete policy discussion as the prompt requires.
OP Takeiteasy 5 / 12 6  
Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a valuable analysis, @vangiespen. I agree with you that being specific would have been more persuasive. I should definitely work on that. I should have considered the negative consequences of enacting the policy as well. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Home / Writing Feedback / To make extraordinary efforts to save endangered animal or plant species