[TOEFL] A/D Making sure that your strengths are known by others leads to success

alice0209 12 / 18 12  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? If you do not make sure other people (especially influential people or your employers) know about your strengths and accomplishments, you will never get successful in life.

Living in a competitive world, every person strives for success in life. Some people believe that showing personal strengths and accomplishments to influential people or one's own employers is the best way to achieve success, while others do not think it has much relevance between them. In my opinion, I believe that it is necessary to make sure that other people know about a person's strengths in order to gain success in life.

First, making sure that one's strength is being noticed by others can bring a person more chances toward success. Influential people or employers can virtually affect and even control a worker's future in career. They have the absolute power of deciding one's own position and their jobs are exactly finding the most talented and competent workers who can bring benefits to their companies. Therefore, if a person does not impress his/her employer by his/her capacity, he/she will be easily ignored and replaced, hence losing the chance to stand a position in jobs. For example, my mother started her career as a secretary. She got promotion by her boss very early and quickly and now she becomes an accounting superintendent in the company. The reason why she mounted so fast is because that she excelled in arranging her boss's schedule efficiently and filing documents neatly. She even voluntarily did many things without her boss asking. It is her positive impression to her boss that helps her get success.

Second, demonstrating one's strengths and accomplishments actively is itself a curial method for pursuing success, regardless of the status of oneself and the person one is going to impress. Even a supreme CEO from a big company still needs to ensure his/her partner about his/her strength. In other words, a person should always be expressive for what he/she is good at. It is a way of showing ambition and determination. Chances will not come to those who just keep his/her strengths inside and passively wait for someone to appreciate.

In conclusion, showing one's strengths and achievements to others is critical for reaching success. It not only opens the door for more chances, but also overall reflects one's positive attitude for being active and ambitious.

p.s: I really care about the content of my essay. Please tell me if I made the clear point to the topic and whether my arguments and explanation are strong, thanks!!:)
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
The topic was not an easy one. I would like to give you some ideas in respect of the topic:
I disagree with the topic because:
1) A person with special natural ability is creative and never wait for other people to explore his/her talent. Like Bill Gates
2) Influential people and employers may play vital roles in the success of a person in the field of industry, but not in art, for instance. The popularity of an artists is given by ordinary individuals.

3) Sometimes employers have negative influences on a person's success because they may become jealous of him/her. As a result, a person should not rely on employers to achieve a goal.
OP alice0209 12 / 18 12  
To ah_zafari

Thanks a lot!!!This really help and this topic is really a hard one.
About the prompts, so should I just paraphrase them, right?
I though that repeating those words can tell raters that I do know about this topic. Maybe I misunderstood.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  

yes , you need to reword the topic, and use synonym.
Living in a competitive world, every person strives for success in life.

Excellent hook :)

Some people believe that showing personal strengths and accomplishments to influential people or one's own employers is the best way to achieve success, while others do not think it has much relevance between them .

Very good introduction, body para and conclusion. This is a very good essay and if you managed writing within allowed time frame, I think you are well set to take up the test. :)

Good luck!

Home / Writing Feedback / [TOEFL] A/D Making sure that your strengths are known by others leads to success