IELTS 1 - Maps: Various developments which were made to the cinema facilities, from 1980 to 2020

ngthuha 6 / 14 5  

The diagrams below show changes of a cinema from 1980 until now.

Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant

The pictures illustrate some changes that were made to a cinema between 1980 and 2020.

It is noticeable that the cinema underwent a significant refurbishment with the introduction of a number of cinemas and amenities in either side.

Looking at the changes in more details, it can be seen that in 1980 there were only 2 cinemas, the first of which located on the immediate left of the entrance and remaining was sited on the opposite side. Over the following 40 years, cinema 2 was relocated on the same side with the first cinema to make room for 3 additional cinemas, which was positioned on the right-hand side of the entrance.

The two maps also show that another major development was made to the facilities, which accommodated various needs of moviegoers. A food and beverage store as well as a relax room were built on the immediate left of the entrance where cinema 1 was once located. Regarding the opposite side, the drink stall at the corner was converted into a DVD shop. Despite considerable changes over 40 years, the toilet and the ticket room have remained unchanged.

Do not separate your trending statement from the summary overview. It is a part of the summary information that needs to be immediately noticed by the reader. In truth, your presentation, in the second sentence, is not a trending statement. The actual trend is an overall expansion of the area based on physical representations. The expansion is a trend in the second one, not the addition of cinemas and amenities. The coverage area reference is more important. The others are mere descriptions of physical changes.

You tried to force a 4 paragraph discussion into a 3 paragraph presentation. This resulted in an incomplete summary overview, improper trending statement reference, and a poorly developed first paragraph overall. You did not have too much problems in the succeeding paragraphs, the errors are negligible. You need to focus on identifying when to use the long discussion / short discussion form for Task 1 essays instead. If there are only 2 images, then it is 3 paragraphs, 3 or more images, go with the 4 paragraph version.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS 1 - Maps: Various developments which were made to the cinema facilities, from 1980 to 2020