Should marketers be allowed to target children in their ad campaigns?

english101 2 / 1  
This essay is for my grade 12 english class. Can someone please edit it and just tell me what you think? What can I do to improve it? would you classify it as argumentation and persuasion? What else does it need?

Thanks.

Topic: Should marketers be allowed to target children in their ad campaigns?

Marketers, with their sole purpose to sell, manipulate their audiences through their persuasive messages communicated in their advertisements. With money always being the primary objective, marketers select young children to be their victims targeted in their ad campaigns. This is given that children under the age of ten lack cognitive development and are more susceptible to being influenced by the media seeing as how they are unable to comprehend the intentions of marketers. Therefore, in knowing your children buy into the alluring techniques of media, marketers are successfully playing them for a profit.

All media are constructions that ultimately known to skillfully persuade children into consuming their products. However, given that children are unknowledgeable of media being constructed, they are unable to comprehend that ads are essentially the skillful tactics of marketers. Therefore, based on their vulnerability to understand products of media, they are regularly deceived by the persuasive messages in advertisements. This seems rather unjust to have children exposed to media when considering that those under the age of ten are likely incapable of differentiating between reality and what is inaccurately presented to them in the media. As a result of a child's favorite super hero i.e. Spiderman is essentially promoting violence and yet a child only notices their super hero as being socially accepted and "cool". After seeing this ad, the child abruptly runs to his/her parents begging them to purchase the product what will enable them to have such characteristics as their favorite super hero. Subsequent to the viewing of the ad that possibly shows Spiderman in action, children audiences have been commonly known to imitate the violent behaviors and actions of this super hero. This reveals how young children are easily influenced by products of media as they desire and attempt to exhibit the experiences they were just exposed to. In the James Bulger case-where two ten year old boys allured a two year old boy away from his mother leading him to the train tracks where the then proceeded to beat him with stones-it was proposed that media was somewhat responsible for this vulgar behaviour. This is given that the crime played out the two perpetrators was similar to the schemes in Child's Play 3 and evidence shows that they were both subject to this film prior to committing the crime. Now, although other issues at home seemed to be relevant causes, there is not other evidence that can explain how these two ten year olds even came up with the idea similar to the one in Child's Play 3, when having committed their crime. Thus, seeing the impact of media on these two ten year old boys, it is clear that marketers should not be allowed to target children in the ad campaigns.

Media also have social implications that can cause pressure amongst children and their parents. Initially, it begins with the media persuading and alluring children in to wanting their products. Now given that children under the age of ten cannot acquire a job and thus do not have money of their own, they look to their parents in hope of satisfying their wants. However, some parents may feel pressured to do so as it may seem that they are lacking in their responsibilities as a parent if they cannot. Or, other parents may just feel pressured to provide these unnecessary wants of their children to substitute for being constantly busy working. Regardless, if the parents are not able to follow through in providing their child with whatever unnecessary item they are currently bugging them for, children might experience tremendous peer pressure at school. This is given that ever child on the playground may have obtained this popular, new gadget and if you're the only one that hasn't you tend to be excluded and taunted by the others. Being this only child without the gadget, relationships with their parents may result in suffering damage. Therefore, it is obvious that children should not be targets by markets given that their values are often shaped by media and can result in pressure amongst children and parents.

To conclude, seeing as how media are constructions and have social implications, children under the age of ten should not be targeted by marketers. This is because, due to their lack of cognitive development, they are more susceptible to being influenced by the media given that they are unable to comprehend the intentions of marketers, and this is considered unjust, However, although there is evidence that they should not be targeted in ad campaigns, there are also claims that encourage marketers in targeting children. This is because having them subjected to media in early age will only enable them to make well rounded decisions in the future. Nonetheless, given the amount of consumerism in our world today, indicates that even the adults who were targeted in ads at a young age have continued to be influenced by media.
OP english101 2 / 1  
typo : As a result of a child's lack of ability to deconstruct and analyze media, there are several occasions where children have been poorly influenced. For instance, ads displaying a child's favorite super hero i.e. Spiderman is essentially promoting violence and yet a child only notices their super hero as being socially accepted and "cool".
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you've written a very good essay! Here are some editing suggestions:

[ delete: This is given that] Children under the age of ten lack cognitive development and are more susceptible to being influenced by the media because they are unable to comprehend the intentions of marketers.

All media are constructions that ultimately know how to skillfully persuade children into consuming their products.

This seems rather unjust to have children exposed to media - You are making an argument in order to persuade; using "seems" and "rather" weakens your argument considerably. Be more definitive.

Subsequent to the viewing of the ad showing Spiderman in action, children have been commonly known to imitate the violent behaviors and actions of this super hero. This reveals how young children are easily influenced by products of media as they desire and attempt to experience the events they were just exposed to. In the James Bulger case-where two ten year old boys lured a two year old boy away from his mother leading him to the train tracks where they then proceeded to beat him with stones-it was proposed that media was somewhat responsible for this violent behaviour. This is because the crime played out by the two perpetrators was similar to the schemes in Child's Play 3 and evidence shows that they were both subjected to this film prior to committing the crime.

[delete: This is given that] Every child on the playground may have obtained this popular, new gadget and the child who hasn't tends to be excluded and taunted by the others.

and this is considered unjust, - By whom? Again, this weakens your argument, which can stand on its own without additions like this.

here are also claims that encourage marketers in targeting children. - Who is making these claims? You need to either explain this, or, if that will take you too far off-topic--and I think it might--leave it out.

Nonetheless, given the amount of consumerism in our world today, [delete: indicates that] even the adults who were targeted in ads at a young age have continued to be influenced by media.

One more note to your revision--add some commas: a child's favorite super hero, i.e., Spiderman, is essentially

Very good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Should marketers be allowed to target children in their ad campaigns?