Let's Marry! - issues of fake marriage in the immigration system

bbish520 8 / 30  
Prompt: Research argument essay (8-10pgs) regarding the issue of fake marriage in the immigration system.

Thesis: The process of immigration to the United States through marriage is flawed because the various methods used do not indicate whether or not the marriage is sincere or phony.

Title: Let's Get Married!

After 2 months of dating, Alec, my boyfriend, was just about to confine in me a secret that would change both his and my life. "I'm actually married." he said. I was struck by those words. "What you mean by married?" Those were the first words that came out of my mouth. How can I be dating a married man? It just can't be. And it really wasn't. "It's not what you think," he rushed to say. The truth is he is not really married. He is married but not in the whole sense of the word. The fact of the matter is that he married so that he can gain Permanent Resident status in the United States. It wasn't the first time I heard of this approach being used but it sure is the first time being confronted to it.

There, sitting on the sofa of my living room, millions of thoughts ran through my head. I mean, how can you be married and not be at the same time. Either you're married or not, there is no two way street around it but apparently in the world of immigration there is. Many people would use various ways to get legal residency at a certain country and fake marriage is one of the many schemes. "It isn't like I had any other choice. The easiest way of gaining legal residency was marrying a citizen." he started. "I know it's hard to believe but it's true. Many people use this method to stay in the United States or any other country to work and live better life." The whole deal is that one got do what one got to do in order to survive. The need of staying in the US outweighs his desire of not wanting to go through a fake marriage. This all rounds up to one big issue, the process of immigration to the United States through marriage is flawed because the various methods used do not accurately indicate whether or not the marriage is sincere or phony.

Stepping foot into America in 2003 was a life altering moment for him but being forced to choose whether to stay and go through a fake marriage or leave was a huge decision that changed his life forever. Coming from Venezuela, where the crime rates are through the roof, the United States provides not only a better environment but also more work opportunities. The reason why people immigrate is just to find a better life. No one would like to leave the place where they are most familiar with and go to an entirely new place and start all over again. But that is the scenario here. Having been in the U.S. for a year now, he was faced with the dilemma, either to marry a total stranger or be escorted out of the country and go back to where he comes from. At the end he chose to marry this total stranger and continue on in the United States.

One must wonder how he found a U.S. citizen willing to help him out. The answer is easy. Money talks. Friends suggested a few women to him that were willing to make some extra cash and it was in that group of prospective "wives" that he chose Annie. And the journey began. All things went down like a normal marriage would. Finding a witness, stepping into a church, saying the vows, getting a marriage license, signing the papers and the whole entire time taking a lot pictures to provide evidences for the revision of the application. "We had to act like a couple," Alec said, "hold hands all the time, look into her eyes as if she was the love of my life, and most importantly capture it all. The more evidence, the more believable the marriage looked. We practically memorize everything of each other. Not because we really wanted to learn about each other but because we had to for the sake of the interview that will take place after the application has been reviewed." One big question came to my mind at that moment. "So does that mean that you are awarded the permanent residency if you are a good actor?" I asked. "Practically." he answered.

The whole entire process isn't really that complicated. In order to request a green card (permanent residence) for an immediate relative of a U.S. Citizen, which includes the spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21 and parents of the U.S. Citizen, first the person has to determine if he or she is eligible. Being the spouse of a U.S. citizen automatically puts you on the qualified list. Not only that, you don't even have to wait until a visa becomes available because immigrant visas are available to immediate relatives of U.S. citizens unlimitedly. If the relative is inside the United States the steps are easier. First the person that is applying for a permanent residence status have to send in the Form I-485 to adjust to a permanent resident status while the U.S. citizen petitioner files Form I-130, which is the petition for alien relative. This adjustment of status is the process used by immigrants to get a green card while in the United States and it is also the process used by him after marrying his "wife". (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)

This is just the introduction. I wanted to see how it's going. Please be as cruel as you can. I really wanna improve it and see how I can continue it.

Thanks in advance!!
disaznboii19148 2 / 2  
This is what I would personally do in order to improve flow and grammar. There is one major
problem I see though; you have way too many periods and short sentences. It doesn't give a
good feel when you read it :(
Try connecting some sentences and using more transitional phrases like:
In Addition,
Nevertheless,
However,
On the contrary,
etcetc

Home / Writing Feedback / Let's Marry! - issues of fake marriage in the immigration system