Essay: marry someone familiar or different?

sonali 3 / -  
It is better to marry some one who is similar to you rather than some one who is different from you.

Marriage is a relationship depends upon the trust, faith and love. In my country India marriage is divided in to two parts one is arrange marriage and another one is love marriage. In arrange marriage generally parents choose the groom and bride of the same cast and religion. And in love marriage couple chooses to each other.

In marriage couple should not only live together but they should understand to each other, they should respect the feeling of each other. And the sacrifices should be from the both side.

If we look in past in our country marriage was totally decided by the parents. Two people who never meet tide in a knot for the whole life and they spend their life to make themselves according to each other. We can see so many example of arrange marriage around us for example our parents, grand parents. But in now days as every thing is changing therefore the concept of the marriage is also changed. Now the marriage is not only a social boundation or the permeation of the society to fulfill physical requirement but it's a commitment between two people of the different sex for the life long.

In my opinion for a successful marriage it is very important that both the person should not only know and love each other but they should respects each others feelings understand each other very well .It is not important that both of them belongs to same profession and have same interest or hobbies. The most important thing is that both of them are honest and faith full to each other.

It is true that marry with a similar person is better than marry with a different person .For example if two person have same interest and nature they will face less difficulties to communicate each other, to understand each others feelings and thoughts they can spend much time with each other make better plan for life.

In conclusion I would like to say that not only marriage but every relationship can go everlasting if it have Faith, Trust, Loyalty, Transparency, and emotions for each-other.
Devotion - / 4  
What kind of feedback do you need? There are 2 types of feedback, from my point of view. The first is a technical feedback, which is about your grammar and vocabulary. The second one would be the subjective feedback, which is more on one's specific opinions and ideas.

I will post both, in case you need both =). Of course, for the technical part, I will only address a few, otherwise this post will be enormous X.X, and from my experience long posts are pain to read, if we touch on every single bit of information, even those that are less vital. Please note that I am no grammarian, so don't expect terms like subjunctive, verbs and the like much.

Marriage is a relationship depends upon the trust, faith and love.

1. Usually we would say "marriage is a relationship that/which depends on ..."
2. when we use the in such a sentence, it indicates that we referring to the qualities that belongs to something or someone. Here, your sentence is 'hanging' because you said that matrimony is based on the trust, faith and love, but of what? Whose trust, faith and love? Moreover, you used upon where a reader would expect an object, person or abstract concept to follow. (Example: Once upon a time. In this sentence time is the abstract concept which follows upon)

In my country India marriage is divided in to two parts one is arrange marriage and another one is love marriage.

1. in to should be connected: into
2. arranged marriage, as it is decided usually before the bride/groom knows about it.
3. another one is inappropriate in this sentence because there are only 2 types of marriage; another one (from my point of view) means that there are more than 2 type of marriage. Furthermore, you should be specific; since there are ONLY 2 types, the appropriate connector would be the other one.

1. Your reasoning should not be connected by the connector for example because an example is one of the situations that emerge from a concept. Instead you should use a connector such as this is because, when, the reason is.

(Example: Marrying a person with similar traits as oneself is better than marrying a complete stranger. When both spouses can relate to each other in terms of interest and temperament, it makes planning their future together much easier. For example, Jack understands Julia's obsession towards golf because he himself likes playing golf. Therefore, while he does not allow Julia to indulge in golf games daily because of the expenses, he made it understood that Julia can enjoy a few golf games during the weekends.)

Now for the subjective feedback. =)

In marriage couple should not only live together but they should understand to each other, they should respect the feeling of each other.

In fact, if they do not understand each other they would not be living together very long. Soon one of the spouses would run away from home or file a divorce, unless they are apathetic.

Now the marriage is not only a social boundation or the permeation of the society to fulfill physical requirement but it's a commitment between two people of the different sex for the life long.

Please elaborate. I do not agree with this because in the past matrimony is also a source of emotional support which is the result of commitment towards one's spouse. Therefore, from my perspective, if commitment is lacking in a relationship, the individuals involved will be emotionally thrown out of equilibrium. While technology and society has advanced, our emotional needs has yet to see a significant change. Hence, the concept applies regardless of what time-line a person is in because as I have said, our emotional needs have always been quite similar. This brings me to my conclusion that commitment is vital for the existence of a stable relationship regardless of age.

In my opinion for a successful marriage it is very important that both the person should not only know and love each other but they should respects each others feelings understand each other very well.

This sentence contains a contradiction. To a certain extent, one would usually respect his loved one, assuming the love is genuine. Likewise, to know someone is similar to understanding someone.

The most important thing is that both of them are honest and faith full to each other.

There are some other important aspects in a relationship that you should talk about as well. This includes but is not limited to taking the initiative. What this means is that you should always try to address a problem when it emerges between you and your spouse. This conveys the message to your spouse that you care for what is at hand. It is also about spending time with your spouse and so on. This point is a big one, but I think you should understand it. I will not go into it because it is often more fruitful to let my reader(s) ponder, from my experience =).

This is the core of your essay, yet you did not elaborate much. This is just a general statement, which is something you put in your introduction. You should go more into why they will face less difficulties if they share similar characteristics and interests.

As for your point, I beg to differ. I believe it is more about attitude and perspective than passive traits that enables a firm foundation to materialize. One almost definitely needs to be patient, devoted and persistent when building a blissful relationship. Also, it is equally important to put oneself in his spouse's shoes before making his own conclusions about the situation at hand.

That's about it. Anyway, in the technical feedback, you should realise that I talked about your intro and conclusion. This is because in academic essays, the examiner checks those parts of the essay before going through everything else. That goes without saying that your initial grade/score will be determined in these paragraphs, which is gradually changed with the other paragraphs. Therefore scoring well here will mean a decent final score. At least, that is the method practiced at my place. It is called impression-marking.

It is a good attempt from your part. Just be sure to spell-check after you have finished your essay to avoid those technical errors and elaborate more. If you need to, illustrate. Finally, do make sure that paragraphs are distant from each other, to ensure that your essay is easy to read.

That's all. Good luck!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

Devotion has really great feedback, all of which I agree with. Since he/she has covered all of the mechanics errors I can see, I will comment too on the content. I think that you have a great foundation for the rest of your essay. This piece leaves me wanting to know more details. For instance, what are the benefits of an arranged marriage? Is this generally acceptable in this culture, or is it not as popular as before? Or, more detail as to the requirements of a successful marriage, or even examples. Anything to make this a more satisfying essay; more details will do that.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay: marry someone familiar or different?