Any means can be taken to attain a worthy goal;GRE Issue

GREASPI 4 / 8 2  
If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiable.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

"Arise! Awake! Never stop till the goal is achieved" said great Swamy Vivekananda. It is the same sage, who stood for all the principles he had taught. Though, he insisted youth to be restless in attaining our ambition. He did stress on the human values like respect, compassion and universal brotherhood. It is this mindset, which made him to address a gathering in Chicago as "Brothers and Sisters." No wonder, being a responsible follower of this noble person, I am not fully supporting this idea of reaching the goal set at all costs. My stand in this issue is as follows:

It is quite natural for any one to have goal-focused mentality. At the same time, it is his duty to analyse all the available ways in order to achieve his/her goal. While doing so, the person should take care of all the available customs and norms in the current setup. For example, consider an athlete, who works hard for an international event. Right form his child hood days, winning a gold medal in this event has been his dream and he is also blessed with the necessary physical features, required for the particular track event, he is going to participate. On the race day, in spite of all the favors, our athlete is disqualified, as he erred in a basic rule of the game by going out of the running track. Thus it is important to know the ground rules in order to survive.

Also with everyone being goal focused, not minding the customs, any system is bound to be disturbed. Chaos will ensue. Think of a a week day.morning road traffic. What will happen, if an office going professional, in the spree of going to his work place, violating the rules? No doubt, he is not only risking his life, but also putting others in stress. In other words, neglecting rules and customs by individuals will lead to a random disarray and this is the last thing needed for any society.

Moreover, reaching the target at the cost of others will pose questions on the values of that person. Even a person like, Lance Armstrong is not an exception to this. Therefore, it is needless to say that, no matter whether it is a profession or a sport it is important for any individual not to deviate from the moral code of conduct.

As we all know, man is a social animal. It is not a single person, who constitutes a society,but a group of people with all their loves and hates form a progressive community. So, it is beyond our imagination that the above group will survive with all its members, minding only their personal needs. If that nightmare happens, insecurity, greed and loneliness will prevail. No one will want that to happen.

No doubt, world does not need another Hitler, who cared for nothing, but his ambition. At the same time, we are also welcoming the current generation of radical innovators like, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg etc., who never mind in changing the whole dimension of the field, in their journey towards the excellence in the field. These people are looked upon by numerous others that, it is their duty not to give up their place on the moral grounds.

Finally, it should be noted that, both reaching the goal and and how it is reached are equally important.
ptejas40 1 / 3 2  
Hi!!
You can add one more point of doping of sport players to strenghten your point.
To complete our aim,sport players are taking drugs to give their best. By doing this they are achieving their aim but finally got caught in doping,hampering their as well as countries image.
samilli 1 / 3  
Nice essay, good examples and strong argument. I especially liked your connection to Swami Vivekananda. Maybe add one more sentence to the conclusion saying why both reaching goal and how it is reached are equally important, just to restate/justify in a few words the whole point of your essay.

... good advice!

"Arise! Awake! Never stop till the goal is achieved" said great Swamy Vivekananda. It is the same sage, who stood for all the principles he had taught.

... impressive start! You have opened it with the right point .... very good!
"Arise! Awake! Never stop till the goal is achieved" said great Swamy Vivekananda, the renowned sage who always stood by his principles.

Though (no comma) he insistedstressed that youth toshould be restless in attaining ourpursuing their goalambition, he also. He did stress onupon the human values like respect, compassion and universal brotherhood.

...you need to combine the two sentences.

It is this mindset, which made him to address a gathering in Chicago as "Brothers and Sisters.

... this is not clear to the reader because they do not know the significance of this speech (at least you need to assume so) . So either you need to describe the background or leave it out.

Home / Writing Feedback / Any means can be taken to attain a worthy goal;GRE Issue