I am a medical professional today despite my low record in science in high school -GRE issue essay

Ssakshijain 28 / 146 87  
Kindly give your feedback . You guys have made me learn a lot till yet and looking forward to learn more about my mistakes. In this essay I also doubt if my essay is making sense or not according to the prompt. I have written this essay in timed manner of 30 minutes, thus I could write only this much. Is it too short for GRE ? Thank you in advance .

Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

---------------------------

Educational institutions are considered as the second teachers of a student after family. They have a huge responsibility towards the student's development of personality and future of their career. Students come to learn and get guidance from the educational institutions to plan and establish a successful future of theirs. I believe that the responsibility of educational institutions is to give guidance to students for selecting their own field of study.

Every student has different capability and interest that they might not be aware of. Both capability and interest are two different phenomena in a student's life. For an instance, consider a student who is well capable to excel in economics. Theoretically this student should pursue economics as a career to be successful in the future. Thus , the educational institutions should guide and persuade him to take economics. On the other hand, consider a student who is capable of doing biological sciences as per his record in academics. But at the same time same student might be interested in pursuing maths despite the poor record in maths. Therefore, even if he will pursue sciences in future he would be less likely to succeed in the same. The interest creates passion and passion is the benchmark for success. Thus the educational institutions should not dissuade students on the basis of what the institutions think about the student's future. They should rather let the student build his own capability according to his interest and satisfaction.

Secondly, I believe that rather than dissuading the students, the educational institutions should engage them towards the variation in different fields of study. This would help them to distinguish and select the field according to their interest which they would enjoy to the best. I would like to add here my personal example: I always wanted to pursue medical field but in high school I was poor in science subject rather always topped the maths subject. My teachers tried to dissuade me from pursuing medical sciences seeing my academic records and poor performance in science . Paradoxically, today I am a successful and happy medical professional and I love providing services to people apart from my good capability in maths.

In a summary I would suggest that though responsibility of the educational institutions should be about guiding towards the right path and dissuading the students from incorrect line of study; this may sometimes become the reason for failure too. Thus I would say that the educational institutions should not dissuade students from the fields of study at which they seem unlikely to succeed rather they should let the students decide their field of study by guiding through all the aspects and should persuade the students for following the same.
liliesandivory 3 / 11 2  
Hi Ssakshijain,

I think your essay was good! I thought it was great that you started with arguments in your introduction and laid the essay out with introduction words that indicate your structure. Additionally I liked how you played devils advocate in the paragraphs which is a huge plus for the GRE essay.

However I felt that your first argument paragraph was much stronger than the second. I would like to see the second as hearty as the first. Did you time yourself with the essay? The hardest part of this essay is the time crunch. I suggest practicing brainstorming argument topics within a 3 minute interval. You can derive topics from the GRE website and it'll give you time to practice topics in quick time with topics that you may otherwise have never had an opinion about before.
Peg 1 / 2 1  
Hi Sakshi,
it was a good essay. it is very important that you have written it in 30 minutes.
Here are some comments that came to my mind:
1.Theoretically, this student should pursue
2., But at the same time the same student might be interested in pursuing maths despite histhe poor record in maths.
3. In sum,In a summary I would suggest that...
If I were you, I would apply these changes.
good luck

Home / Writing Feedback / I am a medical professional today despite my low record in science in high school -GRE issue essay