Medical Side of Bud - "Can marijuana become medical?"

jackie828 1 / -  
Jackie Garvin
ENG 102
Elisabeth Borchers
3/28/2015
Medical Side of Bud
As many states begin to accept marijuana for recreational use, others are noticing the power it has in healing. Many ask, "Can marijuana become medical?" That answer is yes, scientists have conducted countless research and manipulated the plant into a way of producing healing properties. They have found multiple ways to use the plant rather then to just smoke it. Marijuana has been proven to help cancer patients with pain control and to provide them with an appetite after treatments. Likewise, those who are affected with epilepsy can use cannabis oil and it dramatically reduces their seizers. (...)
EF_Jasmine - / 68 39  
As many states begin to accept marijuana for recreational use, others are noticing the power it has in healing. Many ask, "Can marijuana become medical?" That answer is yes, scientists have conducted countless research and manipulated the plant into a way of producing healing properties. They have found multiple ways to use the plant rather than to just smoke it. Marijuana has been proven to help cancer patients with pain control and to provide them with an appetite after treatments. Likewise, those who are affected with epilepsy can use cannabis oil and it dramatically reduces their seizers. Marijuana has many positive benefactors to people who are in pain. People who are dealing with pain in all aspects are given medication that is very hard on the liver and kidneys. Marijuana is natural and does not affect our major organs, and in many cases are more effectivethan prescription medications. Those who are suffering should be able to use marijuana for medical purposes and become healthy. If people were more educated about how effective marijuana could be for medical purposes, then they can save many vital organs by limiting the intake of hard medications, live healthier and active lifestyles, and have more success with a non-harmful substance. ( This is a factual opening, but I am not quite sure what your thesis is? Is it healing? or medication is reduced which helps organs? Please stick to one topic in your opening which will eventually give lead way to your a paper and the surrounding arguments.)

Medical Marijuana can replace many medications prescribed for chronic pain, lack of appetite, anxiety, and depression (Medical Marijuana Treatments and healing, 1). Narcotics prescribed for the same exact medical reasons as above, affect the liver and kidney and damage the body. Many prescription painkillers weigh very heavily on the body where marijuana has minimal wear and tear on the body (Consumer Reports Health, 3). Once the body's vital organs have been damaged the body's natural cycle begins to alter and organs begin to malfunction. If marijuana was replaced with many common narcotics then the body's natural cycle could repair itself and begin to improve its natural function. The National Institute on Drug Abusive ( Abuse) is a government-initiated site that has worked together with scientists both for and against marijuana to determine if marijuana can be a "medicine". This article describes what parts of the plant can be used as a source of medication. It states how the elements within this plant can work with a human's body to help medically. Scientists have provided(evidence on) how marijuana can be manipulated where the common side effects of being "high" of the body and mind can subside when the plant is transferred into different elements and not just smoked. Marijuana can be manipulated and used as a recreational source or manipulated into a medical source. Medical Marijuana can benefit someone who is in need of its medical healing properties. Although many people, including the FDA believe there is no such thing as "Medical Marijuana" many people of all shapes and sizes( Use a comparison such as" ages and cultures" instead of shapes and sizes ) have benefitted.

After conducting an online survey through an add on Facebook, I asked people from all areas of Phoenix, who were all different ages "Can marijuana be Medical? What are your beliefs and why?" This survey included 50 different people. There was a 46-4 ratio. Forty-six people believed marijuana indeed can be classified as a medicine and gave in depth opinions, facts, experiences, or beliefs to conquer with their statement. Out of the fifty total people surveyed, only four believed marijuana had no medical properties at all, they believed it was a gateway drug. Indeed, Marijuana can become a gateway drug according to an article by DrugFacts they stated, "it is pretty obvious that smoking marijuana causes people to crave more potent drugs, such as cocaine or heroine. Statistics show that almost all people who become addicted to drugs smoked marijuana before they began using more potent drugs." While this is very true, it is also a fact that people get addicted to pain medication and venture into more harmful drugs as well. Marijuana isn't the only gateway drug.

Arthritics, seizers, and cancer patients are only a few examples that live with a form of pain everyday. Often the quality of life is greatly affected. Simple activities can become too painful to bear and many opportunities can be missed out on due to some sort of pain. Medical Marijuana has proven to give victims of pain a better quality of life and allows simple activities to be practiced daily (DrugFacts, 1). Since there are many forms of Medical Marijuana it eliminated people from being held back, many forms are easy to take and certain forms can be used in public, since there is no real side affects many people can go on with their lifestyles (DrugFacts, 1). An online article about a little girl suffering from epilepsy stated the benefits cannabis oil had on her. After numerous medications, many draining seizers, and unbearable pain, the only cure to her epilepsy has been the use of cannabis oil. Since using this oil, this little girl has minimal seizers (when she does have seizers, they are easy to recover from), and is able to do normal ten-year-old girl stuff, unlike before the use of cannabis oil. Too often people's medical conditions alter their life styles, many times enabling them to be true to who they are. Certain medications refrain people from being active, living a normal life, operate machinery or other day-to-day activities. Medical Marijuana allows people who suffer from various medical conditions, to proceed with their life and do the things they enjoy. Medical Marijuana heals, subsides, or relieves many problems people may face.

Typically staying healthy is the rule of thumb. When people's bodies begin to act up the first thing society resorts to is medication. Often time(s) the medication's( medications) prescribed have damaging long-term and short-term effects. If more people used marijuana to treat chronic pain, depression, anxiety, lack of appetite, nausea, PTSD, epilepsy, self inflicted harm, or any other form of disability that can be treated with marijuana, they would have greater success with controlling these medical problems, while doing so in a much healthier and affective way. Most pain medication has short-term effects: nausea, constipation, drowsiness, weakness, respiratory depression, headache and more (Health, 1). Antidepressants short-term effects are: mood swings, nausea, frustration, anger and many more (Mad in America, 1). What many people fail to realize, whether it is the lack of education they provide themselves with or the lack of knowledge doctors provide them with, is these narcotics have devastating long-term side effects. Pain killers, can alter the digestive track and slow the metabolism, with age this can increase the risk of excess weight gain. With weight gain there are many problems that develop and many are non-reversible, for example diabetes. Painkillers also destroy the liver and kidney. Once the liver and kidneys are damaged they do not allow your body to function properly. The body starts lacking the victims and nutrients it should be obtaining through the food, however, since the liver and kidney are not efficiently doing their job the host is receiving minimal nutrients like it should be. Once these major organs are damaged it is unlikely they will ever work functionally again. Along with organ damage, there is an increased tolerance to the pain medication resulting in a higher dosage, decreased cognitive function, withdrawal symptom, physiological addictions and cravings, and an increase in paranoia and depression (Trusted Teen Treatment, 1). Ultimately by taking medication to control pain, people are providing themselves more health risks and damages. Mad in America's article explain just how antidepressants work in the body, they said, "After they enter the bloodstream, they travel throughout the body. Most antidepressants, such as the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), are intended to bind to a molecule in the brain called the serotonin transporter that regulates levels of serotonin. When they bind to the transporter, they prevent neurons from reabsorbing serotonin, which causes a buildup of serotonin outside of neurons. In other words, antidepressants alter the balance of serotonin in the brain, increasing the concentration outside of neurons. With long-term antidepressant use, the brain pushes back against these drugs and eventually restores the balance of serotonin outside of the neuron with a number of compensatory changes. Antidepressants are just as bad if not worse when it comes to long-term effects as compared with painkillers. Many times antidepressants are discontinued, when this happens people's bodies begin to relapse which causes a variety of negative changes within the body (Mad in America, 1). Antidepressants can cause neuronal damage, repetitive movements, can increase the risk of breast cancer, cause cognitive decline, developmental problems, abnormal bleeding and stroke, and have negative effects on old people (Mad in America, 1). Marijuana's short-term side affects are: Panic, sensory distortion, anxiety, and or restlessness (Drug Free World, 1). However, these feeling usually subside once the user gets used to it. Long-term affects are: lack of motivation, decreased sex drive, reduction of male hormones, memory loss and the lack of retaining information (Drug Free World, 1). There is no life threatening, or dramatic side effects when it come to marijuana. Marijuana, when used correctly and efficiently has substantial amounts of healing properties with minimal side affects and are not life threatening.

Too often people don't( do not) realize the risks they are actually taking when they ingest narcotics, although they believe they are helping themselves, they are really negatively affecting themselves in the future. Since everybody's body reacts to things differently, it is hard to say how much something is truly corrupting the body. When using painkillers, some people have to take more than the required amount before finding relief; this can greatly damage people's ( a person's) insides. If more and more medication is needed, then more and more damage is being applied to the body. This can be true about (with) all medications since often people take more than the correct dosage. Since there is are many different types, forms, and strengths to marijuana (DrugFacts, 1) people should have no problem finding the correct form that most benefits them and is the safest and most healthiest relief there is.

In 2012 51.8 % of drug overdose deaths were directly related to pharmaceuticals (Home and Recreational Safety, 1). This means over 22 thousand people died at the hands of professionals because an excessive amount of lethal medication. In 2013 81.1% of overdose deaths were unintentional (Home and Recreational Safety, 1). This can be devastating for someone trying to control his or her pain, and equally as devastating for his or her loved ones. Overdosing on narcotics call for a large percentage of deaths per year, Marijuana has not been proven to kill anyone. In 2013 there were zero deaths related to marijuana (Drug War Facts, 1). There can be no mistake if someone were to take too much of the marijuana plant, people can not overdoes on marijuana. There could be some major side effects if taken too much, but with time it will wear off, and the person will still be alive and breathing.

Robert Kiyosaki once said, "Knowledge is Key" this couldn't be anymore true. People benefit off of knowledge. People can never know too much, there is always room for growth. With knowledge the unknown can be broken. People should make themselves aware of their health and what they are doing to their health so long healthy, and happy lives can be lived. If people were to fill their minds with knowledge of medicine, and what they are truly doing to their body society could be a much healthier place. Marijuana is a hard concept to grasp when it comes to the medical side of it. However many people and many states are starting to adapt Medical Marijuana and using it for the purposes it should be used for; to help those suffering. Marijuana has been proven to heal, cure, or relief many medical disorders and provide people with a healthier more affective alternative. Educating the mind is the most powerful tool anyone could use. Medical Marijuana should be adapted into everyone's lives that are suffering and true benefits and success will profit them.

Hi! You have a very factual essay! You have great information for your argument. I have added some minor changes in editing. I highly suggest you make an outline. Your facts and points are great but became hard to follow. Work on developing each paragraph with its own topic. You jump around a lot on the same subject. Take each topic ( health benefits, medication, your survey) and develop a paragraph for each. You do not have to rewrite the whole essay, just move the sentences around to match a subject for each paragraph topic! Good luck!

Home / Writing Feedback / Medical Side of Bud - "Can marijuana become medical?"